Painted grill body color(pics) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painted grill body color(pics)

Just got done painting my faded out crome grill on my 98 Ex xlt. Used Duplicolor touch up paint and it matched perfectly!
I also bought a Porter Cable 7424 polisher and highly recommend it. It made my truck look like new, a finish I could never get by hand.

21902150107_large.jpg

21902150105_large.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks very nice, good job! (Porter-Cable tools are great IMHO)

Looks very nice, good job! (Porter-Cable tools are great IMHO)

Thanks Fixxxer, Yeah that Porter-Cable buffer is one of the best things I have ever purchased.

Wow, your came out far better than mine did. It must have been too windy, because the paint did not lay down very smooth at all on mine.

Looks good though!

What kind of prep work did you do for the chrome? Did you sand it all off, or scuff it and clean it? Did you use a clear coat over the red?

Looks great, and is making me think hard about doing that to The Black Hole!

What kind of prep work did you do for the chrome? Did you sand it all off, or scuff it and clean it? Did you use a clear coat over the red?

Looks great, and is making me think hard about doing that to The Black Hole!
I just scuffed,cleaned, primed and panted, Paint stuck good! Yes I used Duplicolor clear about 6 coats.

job well done.

looks great.

Very nice!

I have a Meguiars Orbital- pretty much the same as the Porter Cable- and it is truly awesome! Great job on the grille!

Nice work JC, looks great. Now you gotta paint that mesh behind it red to match the truck. Would look awesome.

Well, that too.

Nah, Paint the Gray bumper plastics to match the black insert on the grill!

Yeah I am thinking of doing that, just concerned about how the paint will stick to the bumpers. I have used a lot of protectant on them over the years.

Looks awesome man!

looks great keep up good work

great work man!

Yeah I am thinking of doing that, just concerned about how the paint will stick to the bumpers. I have used a lot of protectant on them over the years.

Just give them a nice cleaning with some Lacquer thinner, spray some adhesion promoter on it, paint a few coats with bumper trim paint(has flex agent). I would not apply clear to them. They will need touch ups every now and then.

Back