Fuel Filter Replacement w/pics | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Filter Replacement w/pics

Thanks for the info. I searched for this fuel filter for a year and could never find anything. Can't thank you enough.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This was also very helpful for me, but I stll have a tiny little sputterat idel. any suggestions?

This was also very helpful for me, but I stll have a tiny little sputterat idel. any suggestions?

check your air filter, and make sure you're not using el cheapo fuel.

Just did mine a few thousand ago for the first time at 80K miles.... Modern fuel from clean stations helps a lot. The filter had some junk in it, but not that bad. The suprising part was that even with the relay out and running the truck till it died, there was a LOT of pressure still in the lines. I even made sure it wouldnt start back up after it died, but still got a face full of E85... Good thing I wore the goggles.

Just beware of the fuel pressure and make sure its gone before you pull the lines or get out from under it when you do.....

Bumping a good thread back to the top for those that need to change their fuel filter (should be changed at least, at the bare minimum, every 30,000 miles)....

~~~~

Our vehicle only has 22k on it and also had the original Ford Motorcraft filter attached as well. Even though fuel filters should be changed at 30k, I felt it was necessary to change the filter since we are the 2nd owners of the vehicle and I did not know what type of fuels the other owner had used (not to mention, I like to perform preventative maintenance). This thread helped a lot with changing out the fuel filter on our 2004 XLS 4.0.

I just want to say that on the 2004 XLS 4.0 (flex fuel vehicle too), that the fuel filter only has a single inlet and outlet, it's not the one w/ the (3) lines going to it. I bring this up because I have read multiple fuel filter threads on here and have seen some expressing their fuel fitlers have (3) lines going to it, while some only have (2) - this depends on the year and engine type of Explorer I assume. So be sure before purchasing a fuel filter that you are buying the correct filter BEFORE you get to the point of removal. The fuel filter is easy enough to find at any parts store - in fact, I purchased ours at the local WalMart...

FIRST - please think of safety - you will be working under the vehicle either by laying on your back, or on a lift (if accessible) - DO wear eye safety protection, as the last thing you want it to have fuel splashing onto your face and into your eyes.

If UNDER the vehicle and not on a lift, DO use proper jack stands and support the vehicle SECURELY before going under it - DO NOT rely on cinder blocks, wood blocks, bottle jacks or a single hydraulic jack to hold the vehicle up while working under it...

Anyhow, I'd just like to input a few more little things:

1) w/ the red clip on the LEFT side of the fuel filter (if under the vehicle and looking up) - this clip can easily be removed quicker by using a flat head screw driver. Take the tip of the screw driver and insert it into the front indentation on the clip and you want to push it forward (towards the front of the vehicle). This will disengage the locking mechanism of the clip. Once the clip is disengaged (the part you disengaged will now hang down towards the floor), now take the same screw driver and again, use it to push the very edges of the clip upward (towards the floor pan) these are the edges that are STILL ENGAGED in the fuel line and locked onto the filter. Once you push up and disengage the entire clip it will freely go UP, then you can pull the fuel line off (pull it towards the passenger door).

2) For the other side of the fuel line, there is a different security fitting (I don't know WHY Ford chose to use 2 different types of fuel clips/fittings...). For this metal locking clip, first you need to PUSH/UNLOCK the lever that is secured over the hose's fitting. To do this, first push the fuel line towards the fuel filter, then just take your fingers and PUSH the metal locking clip UP towards the floor pan, at this point the clip will disengage from the fuel line fitting - just slide it up the hose a bit to get it out of the way (it does not come off).

Now, this next step is the part that some folks have trouble with - and this is only because there is less than 1.5 inches of space to work with due to how Ford positioned the fuel filter on the vehicle. Take your fuel line disconnect tool and insert it into the metal fuel fitting. There is hardly enough room to use your fingers to exert enough force onto the fuel line disconnect tool to get enough pressure behind it to pop the fuel line off the filter (basically, "unlocking" the internal spring clips in the fuel line). What I did was to get a pair of long needle nose pliers and once I had the fuel line disconnect tool inserted into the fuel line, I positioned the needle nose pliers IN FRONT OF the fuel line disconnect tool. Once I had the pliers positioned, I angled the pliers towards the DRIVER side of the vehicle, this put enough force pressure onto the fuel line disconnect tool that it instantly popped/unlocked the fuel line from the fuel filter. I then just slid the fuel line off the filter - done!

3) as others have stated, it's a PIA to remove the old fuel filter from the metal bracket once the lines are off of it. Take the brakcet w/ fuel filter completely out from under the vehicle. Get a rubber mallet and you want to drive the fuel filter out of the bracket by driving it LEFT TO RIGHT (you would be looking at the unit as it came out of the vehicle when driving the fuel filter out of the bracket) - this is the only way it will come out of the bracket. As Muzzy stated above in his tech, do use some light grease on the ribs of the bracket so it makes installing the new filter easier (and will also aid in future removal).

4) When reinstalling the fuel lines into the filter, DO MAKE CERTAIN that when sliding the fuel lines on that you HEAR A DISTINCT "CLICK" - this assures that the fuel lines have properly locked onto the fuel filter. Once you hear the click, properly resecure or lock each fuel clip on each of the fuel lines (install is reverse of removal).

5) Before installing all of the shields, check for any fuel seepage or leaks. Re-install the fuel pump relay then start the vehicle - monitor the fuel filter ends where the hoses meet for ANY seepage or leaks - if you spot a leak, turn off the vehicle and go over your work. If you do not see any leaks, shut the vehicle down and then reinstall the shields and clean up! :)

Hopefully the above is also helpful to those trying to change out a fuel filter (or for those who still need to perform this task).

Getting ready to change mine it's the three tube on 03 xls flex fuel. I checked out the filters at Auto Zone and Wally World both MADE IN CHINA.Called my Ford guy Motorcraft filter FG-1083 still made in the USA. With all thats going on with Chinese exports I am not going to risk it.The Motorcraft was only a buck more.:usa:

btw you dont have to take the relay and all that crap let truck run until dead..... you can just do it after it has sit overnight-all the fuel pressure will be gone..... even at the dealership we never pull relays and do that crap just slip the tool in and let drip :D

Anybody out there with a 02 or 03 have trouble with the "R-clip" quick disconnects on their filter change. I am getting ready to do it but the Haynes repair manual says if these clips break you have to buy the WHOLE FUEL LINE. Anyone know different. Would like an answer before I start.

Anybody out there with a 02 or 03 have trouble with the "R-clip" quick disconnects on their filter change. I am getting ready to do it but the Haynes repair manual says if these clips break you have to buy the WHOLE FUEL LINE. Anyone know different. Would like an answer before I start.

Yes this is true, you would have to buy a new complete fuel hose. Go to your automotive store and purchase a fuel line disconnect tool and disconnect the hose with the tool after you pull the clip out and all will be fine. I've done it before and thats all I did. Just be prepared a little fuel to drizzle out once you get the line disconnected.

fuelpic1.jpg

good luck

Thanks for the good luck. I have the tool you pictured I am talking about the other end on the 03 filter it has two lines with a plastic clamp you pop apart then squeeze and push up if they break they say you can't just buy the clamp.Did you have trouble with them?I woul hate to be sitting there with a broken clamp and then have to replace the whole line.No telling whats involved with that.So someone chime in here and let me know how things worked out for you.Much thanks

Good Forum, thanks for the post. Helped me out. I have a 2003 XLT with the 4.6L V8... 65,000 miles ... gas mileage improved immediately from 14.5 to 17.5.

Great post. I have never changed the fuel filter and at 110K it's about time.

Thanks.

Great post. I have never changed the fuel filter and at 110K it's about time.

Thanks.

uhh yea? id say so. at the dealership we change them in our 30k service... you WILL notice a gain in performance

Man i cant say how much this thread helped me out, couldnt find my damn fuel filter for weeks and sure enough this thread tells me everything i need to know. I havent replaced it yet since i have to be at work in an hour or so, but I deffinately will be getting up early tomorrow to start the replacement. Great thread and Thanks again!! :D

Glad it's helped so many. Good luck on yours!

Great post. Even armed with this post, and 2 types of tools, It still took me 1 and 1/2 hours. Thanks Ferd.

Thanks for the post. I changed the fuel filter on my '04 XLT today and I couldn't have done it without this great forum as a resource. Thanks again.

Ford Tool

forgive me if this has been answered already but where can i get that ford tool from?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I finally changed mine out last night. I still had the original at 90K. I put a Wicks filter in. It was a PIA to get those lines off. First the chinese puzzle to unlock the safety clips. Then to get it to release the lines was a pain.

Release the plastic clip first. ulock it at the bottom. I used a scredriver. Then push it up. Also push up the other end of the U shaped clip. You have to push up both ends. However the clip will just be pushed up. You do not remove it off the line completely.

Then to get the metal clip off. Just put on round loop to release it. It comes right off but you do have to push hard. I thought that the loop unclipped somehow but I was wrong. You just push the loop up and it unlocks.

Now the fun part!!!

I used the sissors type tool. I tried the plastic one and it didn't work at all. I couldn't get enough pressure with my hands to release the spring. So I used a screwdriver and worked the tool all the way in until it was buried in the line up to the stop on the tool. Then I just pulled and it came apart.

Sounds pretty easy but it took me a good hour to do this job. It would go a lot quicker now with experience.

Back