• Register Today It's free!

4x4 doesn't work.

HKUNZ

Reaction score
City, State
Wilmington, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
Ok so i just got my exploder like a month ago. I had to replace the torque converter seal so that it would quite leakin trans fluid. My radius arm bushings fell into peices, and i replaced them. And now the 4x4 wont engage. What can i do to engage it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This thread should help you out Click Me! It was stickied at the top of this forum. I think you will find that if you search for a little bit you will find the answers to a lot of your questions. Welcome to the site :D

Ok so i just got my exploder like a month ago. I had to replace the torque converter seal so that it would quite leakin trans fluid. My radius arm bushings fell into peices, and i replaced them. And now the 4x4 wont engage. What can i do to engage it?

there is a motor on the back of the transfer case. about 10 wires coming out of it. first thing is clean the contacts with some form of cleaner and use a little electrical contact grease on the plug, then give it a shot. of not the motor is not working. unbolt it 3 bolts and last time i bought a new motor it ran me 175$ brand spankin new. i went the junk yard rout on this part b4 and wasted time and money.

is there a way to manually engage the transfer case even though its automatic?

yes it's mentioned in a few other threads. If i had one handy i'd post the link, as I do not have one saved at the moment I'll look for it and add it in a few

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123542&highlight=4x4+motor

4th picture down. shows what you should be looking at in order to engage the 4x4 without a motor. I will suggest you not using that unless you are stuck and it's a last ditch effort to move the truck.

REPLACE or REPAIR the motor!!!

Good luck to you

how much did it cost to fix the seal?

Back