• Register Today It's free!

steering rack removal

hazmat456

Reaction score
City, State
tomah wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 mercury mountaineer
Help me please I have searched around but haven't figured it out yet. I am replacing the rack in my 97 mounty 5.0 I have everything disconnected except the lines, I can't seem to get a wrench on them. If you have done this before what tool or method is used to remove these lines? I can't find a 18MM flare nut wrench at any of the stores around here, and can't think of anything else.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try a crowsfoot. The one pictured is a Snap on. Sears sells Craftsman crowsfeet but I've not seen any open stock, just a set @~$80. All the truck brands have them. I believe Grainger carries Proto and maybe Blackhawk. SK used to have these.

Wrench, Metric, Crowfoot, Flare Nut, 18 mm, 6-Point Stock#: FRHM $19.30

48835.JPG

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?tool=hand&item_ID=2184&group_ID=266&store=snapon-store

^ Ohhhh I was tinkin about cutting one ofa da china wrenches froma da china store (Harbor Freight) to make a one.

I will have to look for a set.

Wish I could afford snap on stuff. If all I bought was snap on I would have a hammer and a screwdriver.

Harbour Freight has a set but I think they only have SAE sizes. CMan has a set that's pretty large about 10 or 11 pieces I think, was just on Craftsman Club sale for about $49 not too long ago (I have the SAE and metric). MSC and some others carry various brands.

On the SO for one piece not too bad especially if you order online they have free shipping if you can't track a dealer down. A set starts to get pricey.

10x4 on the cheep harbor freight tools. I couldn't make it through half of the mechinacal acrobatics If I had to buy all snap on on any budget! I rember when we had to cut an expensive wrench in half just to save... well more than what the wrench cost.

Your basic set should be a good quality set though.

well I bought a set from napa for $20. it worked got the POS out and the new one in, I'll reattach everything tomorrow but at least it's laying there now.

Well I got it together and went for a short test drive, I go in for a alignment on sat.
handles horribly, and there seem to be a little play on center, about a inch in the wheel, I hope it goes away with the alignment, I would hate to have to do that again.

It might not be the rack that was the problem. Theres a thread on here where it was something in the steering stem that rounds out. Its supposed to be a diamond or square shape and it turns oval which gives you slop. Do some searching and see if it matches your problems.

I am replacing it because both seals are shot and it leaves a mess wherever I park. I prolly went through $200 in fluid over the past year and a half.
I think that I got it, the play in the wheel, I was able to put another half turn on the intermediate shaft bolt. Now it's on the trailer, 45 mile drive to the alignment shop.

Good stuff. Glad its fixed.

Back