Is the Big One coming..This Week? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is the Big One coming..This Week?

I felt nothing up here, so if LA is still there, it must not been that bad.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ahhhhh Tom help us... we're in the middle of the ocean!

I Swear I hate these, it like big truck drove down your street, and everyone panics:rolleyes: So crap fell down. So F'N What!! Wait till we have a real quake people.:rolleyes:

This is just a remider to all to be prepared. Get a life preserver!:p:

It's because it's in Los Angeles proper... Not usually that strong there. Normally, strong ones, they're in the San Fernando Valley or the Bay Area up north...

It's because it's in Los Angeles proper... Not usually that strong there. Normally, strong ones, they're in the San Fernando Valley or the Bay Area up north...

We are overdue for another big shaker up here.

Hopefully, the SFBay bridge will be completed before that happens.. The old one WILL fall down.

I'm in Dana Point, south Orange county. Felt it pretty good here, about two minutes after the reported event at the epicenter. Strong rolling movement, started low, got pretty strong, faded away, seemed about 30 seconds. Meh. A normal So Cal evening. Hey, just realized- we've been having hot "earthquake weather"...

Yup, the Bay Area's bridges are scary enough...

We are overdue for another big shaker up here.

Hopefully, the SFBay bridge will be completed before that happens.. The old one WILL fall down.

Now the governor can ask for $23 billion in Federal Emergency assistance :p:

Shakin' up north!

Oops! Spoke too soon :D

Magnitude 1.0 - NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
2009 May 18 05:05:04 UTC

* Details
* Maps
* Scientific & Technical

Where can I find...?
Earthquake Details
Magnitude 1.0
Date-Time

* Monday, May 18, 2009 at 05:05:04 UTC
* Sunday, May 17, 2009 at 10:05:04 PM at epicenter

Location 38.807°N, 122.812°W
Depth 3.7 km (2.3 miles)
Region NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
Distances

* 1 km (1 miles) NNW (335°) from The Geysers, CA
* 8 km (5 miles) WSW (248°) from Cobb, CA
* 11 km (7 miles) WNW (289°) from Anderson Springs, CA
* 18 km (11 miles) E (87°) from Cloverdale, CA
* 41 km (25 miles) NNW (347°) from Santa Rosa, CA
* 120 km (74 miles) NNW (343°) from San Francisco City Hall, CA

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 0.3 km (0.2 miles); depth +/- 0.6 km (0.4 miles)
Parameters NST= 21, Nph= 21, Dmin=2 km, Rmss=0.06 sec, Gp= 54°,
M-type=duration magnitude (Md), Version=1
Source

* California Integrated Seismic Net:
* USGS Caltech CGS UCB UCSD UNR

Event ID nc51221764

they had this one the other day :D

Magnitude 3.1 - local magnitude (ML)
Time Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 3:34:05 PM (PDT)
Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 22:34:05 (UTC)
Distance from Berkeley, CA - 4 km (2 miles) ESE (104 degrees)
Piedmont, CA - 5 km (3 miles) N (360 degrees)
Orinda, CA - 5 km (3 miles) WSW (247 degrees)
Emeryville, CA - 6 km (4 miles) ENE (58 degrees)
Oakland, CA - 8 km (5 miles) N (358 degrees)
Coordinates 37 deg. 51.8 min. N (37.863N), 122 deg. 13.9 min. W (122.231W)
Depth 11 km (6.8 miles)
Location Quality Good
Location Quality Parameters Nst=155, Nph=155, Dmin=1 km, Rmss=0.18 sec, Erho=0.1 km, Erzz=0.2 km, Gp=18 degrees
Event ID# nc51221530

So basically, we have a earthquake nearly every day in California. Yeah, you guys are just making this all up. Again, I felt nothing. If the big one really comes, I hope it around mid-October because I could use the overtime for Christmas.

The last three governors of this state have done more damage to California than any quake can do... How many businesses and citizens have left this state in the last 20 years? And if there is a big quake on the San Andreas, we are all screwed. And then to fix the damage and rebuild the homes and buildings lost will be 1000s of illegals. For 50 years the scientists/geologists have been saying there will be a major (7.5 or greater) quake in California within 30 years... Every year! My goodness... Some day there will be, but as of now - phhhht, nothing but fear.

The last three governors of this state have done more damage to California than any quake can do... How many businesses and citizens have left this state in the last 20 years? And if there is a big quake on the San Andreas, we are all screwed. And then to fix the damage and rebuild the homes and buildings lost will be 1000s of illegals. For 50 years the scientists/geologists have been saying there will be a major (7.5 or greater) quake in California within 30 years... Every year! My goodness... Some day there will be, but as of now - phhhht, nothing but fear.
I wish about half of the State's population would get the heck back to whatever rock they crawled out from under, so we can have our state back. Maybe they can take all the freeloaders with them. Did I just get off topic??

Just felt a little shake not even a minute ago. Says online it was a 4.1 in Hawthorne, same area as the other day.

Some day there will be, but as of now - phhhht, nothing but fear.

I hope people don't slack off on keeping emergency supplies on hand because they've become too complacent. I sure wouldn't count on the government to get food and water out to the bazillions of folks out there WHEN the next big one hits... Plate tectonics doesn't run on anyone's schedule, when it happens it happens. We may or may not be around to see it, but I have no doubt it will happen.

I was never one to stock up with emergency supplies. That was until Katrina hit. Once I saw how long it took just to get fresh water to people in a major US city I decided I better be ready to fend for myself. Since I'm located in a rural area I can't imagine we would be high on the list of places to get aid during an emergency.

I hope people don't slack off on keeping emergency supplies on hand because they've become too complacent.
Speaking of which, I should check my stuff. It's been in there since "The Big One" was supposed to hit 17 years ago. :wtf:

I keep the RV gas tank at least 1/2 full, and the water tank full all the time, just in case we get cut off from power and water. I can run the generator for about a week, and have 80 gallons of H2O. Then there is the water heater, a good source of fresh water (60 gallons).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So California isn't a island yet? Damn..

Back