• Register Today It's free!

Weird Knock on Roof...

Kovalchuk

Reaction score
City, State
OTTAWA, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT Loaded
When driving at high speeds (50mph+) and having the windows and/or sunroof open I hear a knocking sound on my roof. It occurs every few seconds and is fairly loud and annoying.

I have checked the roof rack bolts and they are in solid... anybody have any idea as to what it could be? BTW I don't have the crossbars in on my roof rack... I forgot about this problem over the winter but now it is bothering me again!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since you don't have the crossbars anymore, just take off the roof rack and see if that cures the problem. You should be able to remove it in 15 min or less. If the noise is still there then it's something else.

That's odd, wow! If you don't have a wind visor/tail over the back hatch, I'd check the screws in the top brake light to make sure they are both in. And check the tail lamp screws to be sure they aren't loose either.

Is the sound directly overhead, toward the center, back, left, right or random? Interesting.

Is the moon roof loose in the wind when its open?

Im starting to think it might be the pieces that hold the crossbars on the roof rack... i jiggled them and they made a bit of a noise. I glued them tight though and still got the knocking sound at highway speeds. The moonroof is firmly in place... doesn't budge at all. Fairly annoying...

Take the roof rack off. Drive it and if the problem is still there, then it's something else. If it's gone, then your ex looks 10x's better and is quieter on the highway:) Like I said before, it's very easy to remove. Just put the stock bolts back in and snug them up. No leak problems with mine at all. So that's tomorrow's plan, I'll be looking for an update:)

Back