Time for a fullwidth SAS.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time for a fullwidth SAS....

Well I guess its time I did my sas since I destroyed my ifs unit. I am going to get the axle friday so the past couple of days i have been doing i little reading on here and have decided to put a parts list together and start spending money. My axle is out of a 1978 ford f250 it is sprung over with disc brakes the only down side it has 8lugs. So i figured i'd post my parts list on here and get some feed back on parts and stuff from some people with exprience before i go wasting time and money on something i might not need so here goes.

78 f250 hp44 $300.00
-Ruff Stuff Specialties
Ubolt plates and weld on shock mounts $68.00
Shock Towers $100.00
full size ford shackle flip kit $185.00 (saw it and not to sure about it looks like it would be easier than the outrigger with the shackle mount cause its all one peice) maybe not
full size spring hangers $33.00
- Local Metal shop
2x6 sqaure tubing .250 thick for the front cross member $50.00
Tubing for square front driveshaft??
-East Coast Gear Supply
Hi steer kit comes with Flat top knuckles with no arms ball joints installed, hi steer arms with hardware and heavy duty tie rod and drag link with 1-ton outters. $965.00
-Advance Auto Parts
1st gen steering box $142.00 (I dont know if i should use a drop pitman arm or standard???)
random parts i will need hubs brakes etc. $300.00
-4 Wheel Parts
Superlift springs 3inch lift $450.00 (or maybe stock dont know about that yet either)
-Randys Ring and Pinion
Yukon master overhaul kit $170.00
Yukon reverse cut gears 4.88 $204.00

Wheels and tires not decided yet because i need to find the kit to switch the 8 lug down to 5 or 6 something besides 8

Thats a total of $2966.00 without the wheels and tires, pitman arm, and the metal and ujoints for the square drive shaft. o yeah and shipping and tax ha

Thanks for reading:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are planning and asking for input, so thats a good start.

A few things that pop up when I look over the list is the stuff from Ruff Stuff. They have awesome parts that are definately useful for this swap. I just got more stuff from them yesterday, but I believe what you are looking at may not be the best parts he has to offer for your situation.

The flip kit may work and is kinda out of the box thinking, but thats good. Its made for the rear axle, so just watch what the spring width could end up being and make sure that works ok with the front axle. The outboarding brackets are nice too. Maybe look at what is included in the 63" swap kit and just get the parts that fit your springs.

The shock towers that they sell may be more beef than you need as well. They are made for Air shocks or coilovers. I would get the F250 towers from a dealer or a supplier online for like $50 and spend the money elsewhere.

For the steering box, consider the Toyota IFS to get it outside the frame rails. It is a pain to get it inside and not have to modify the radiator.

You should decide what you want to do with the rear axle, to match bolt patterns and width if you want to. Look into the 14 bolt if you want to stay 8 lug, or a FW 8.8 or 9 if you go to 5 lug.

If going to 5 lug, consider converting to 5 x5.5 lug when you do the high steer with junk yard parts, except for the passenger knuckle that you will need milled, but I feel you may still come out ahead. I believe that is what sn0border88 did. Check out his build and the Mr. N webpage for all the Dana 44 info you would need.

Sorry for the long post, just my thoughts. Hope they make sense.

Good luck with the swap, welcome to the SAS crowd :D

For the steering box, consider the Toyota IFS to get it outside the frame rails. It is a pain to get it inside and not have to modify the radiator.

Mine is inside the frame, and I never touched the radiator:dunno:

True, I know many haven't. Maybe I'm just on this IFS kick right now, but I still believe its a good option.

my reasons for leaves over coils are
1. The axles that i am purchasing on friday for 250.00 for both are from a 78 f250 which from factory was leaves all the way around hp44 in the front and 60 in the rear.
2. Less linkages that i have to mess with you know trac bar and mount, radius arms, etc. because this is my only means of transportation so when i do this swap it will have to be done farley quickly, and yes i plan on having another car soon i just dont know when.
3. Just seems like the only hassle people have leaves is figuring out the steering box and how to run it.

Thanks for all your info guys it helps alot..

im going to pick up my axle tomorrow morning hp44 front and 60 rear full widths nice!!

i got the axles today they look to be in pretty good shape the only thing bad which isnt really bad is the front carrier, spider, and side gears look a little ruff from where the guy tried and i mean TRIED to do a lincoln locker but its not biggie it just helped me decide that i am going to go with a full spool instead of a mini spool other than that a little blasting and rebuild and she will be ready to roll.

i know i know i gotta get my camera working again i dropped it and broke the screen

update so i got the 44 all tore apart and cleaned and its in the process of drying as we speak, and let me tell you this thing was not takin good care of i think i pulled a hand full of metal chunks out of the pumkin good thing i am changing the gears and bearings. I know i am still working on the pics guy dont yell at me haha..

Back