1" Heat Spacer Install- 5.0 GT-40 ( Upper Plennum Removal and Replacement) | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1" Heat Spacer Install- 5.0 GT-40 ( Upper Plennum Removal and Replacement)

would it be possible to install the spacer without completely removing the upper intake manifold? if it is, what components would be left unplugged/installed? i think this will help a bit with long distance driving and i am planning on driving cross country early next year..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think it is possible, the rear bolt isn't easy to put on, particularly the long one. There is also the issue of the old gasket stuck to the upper or lower manifold, it would have to be removed. Ohh, and the DPFE sensor that has to be moved is only really accessible with the upper off. Ultimately, its easier just to remove it.

i"m currently in the process of installing mine.. i just got the upper intake manifold off..

a few notes on differences between the 2001 and a 1997:

- my manifold assembly is heavy.. roughly around 20lbs
- i do not have the coolant lines. there are no eveidences of coolant piping going through the upper intake.
- my pcv valve was already disconnected.. it was good that i already bought a replacement for it. the pcv you're going to need is the one that has the connector going straight up and no right angle bends..
- the electrical connector at the back are a pain in the butt!!!
- i broke 2 white lines that i assume carries air along it.. they were more brittle than frozen parchment paper..

i'll update this as i go along..

Wrong Intake Spacer sent from Summit?? Or Not??

I ordered the 1" intake spacer from summit (p/n: TFS-51520004 )for a 1996 Explorer 5.0L and this showed up at my door.

I thought I ordered the wrong one, but when I checked summit's website, they have the same one. WTF???? I need the ones with the round holes!!
Did anyone have this problem? Was I supposed to order for another year/car??

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=TFS-51520004&view=32&N=700+115
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=TFS-51520004&autoview=sku

Attachments

• tfs-51520004.jpg
    tfs-51520004.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 1,151

So it'll say for a 96 5.0L but its not the same for my 96 5.0L Explorer???

OK, so tfs....018 is the p/n I need to order. On summit's site, it says its for a cobra, does that mean we have cobra intakes??? why don't the 96 tfs....04 work even though it says for a 96?

I called summit and spoke to a rep there, and he didn't know what was going on with the part numbers and parts either!!

OK, so tfs....018 is the p/n I need to order. On summit's site, it says its for a cobra, does that mean we have cobra intakes??? why don't the 96 tfs....04 work even though it says for a 96?

I called summit and spoke to a rep there, and he didn't know what was going on with the part numbers and parts either!!

We share similar intakes, our lower is a true gt-40 just like the cobras. Our upper intake is similar but not exactly the same. I think the true gt-40 uppers flow just a little bit better, especially in higher rpm's.

so if i wanted to order the upper intake and replace my stock one, the cobra upper intake would be the way to go??? would this be an upgrade to our stock uppers?

so if i wanted to order the upper intake and replace my stock one, the cobra upper intake would be the way to go??? would this be an upgrade to our stock uppers?

The cobra intake wouldn't be enough of an upgrade to be worth it, not by a long shot. The intake you have now is the best there is for low end torque. All of the aftermarket manifold are designed for high rpm motors, 6k rpm plus.

I imagine you would loose torgue with the Cobra upper as it's designed for highr RPM. There is not a thing wrong with the Explorer upper intake.

As a matter of fact several mustang owners like our upper & lower intakes.

ok, gotcha! thanks for the help! hopefully this will help future intake spacer-ers! I wouldn't have known what to order!!! Maybe summit needs to chnage this!

btw, i know i can't be the first to run into this problem, this had to have been mentioned before!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought I ordered the part number in this thread, but it must have been another thread. I certainly didn't come up with it all by myself. ;) It's definitely been posted somewhere before.

Back