I did TT/Shackle lift and now drifts to the left... ALIGNMENT?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I did TT/Shackle lift and now drifts to the left... ALIGNMENT??

Fantasymon

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
I have a 1.75" TT/Shackle lift. There is a very slight drift to the left. I also put bigger tires on but the drift started happening before the tires anyways...
Would an alignment fix this even though it may be due to my torsion bars? Not sure exactly how an alignment works. Its not a bad drift at all but just heard its not good to drive a lot when it drifts...I'd hate to spend $60 bucks for nothing... It only has 7k miles on it.

Thanks,
Grant-P

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, I would definately go get an alignment. I heard just any type of mods you do with the suspension..lifting or lowering, a alignment will be required

Ditto

I had to have an alignment done when I did my tt/shackles. I didn't have that much pull, but it cupped my tires pretty badly in 300 miles due to the toe-in being out of whack. Fortunately, the tires were my old Deathstones, and Ford bought them back :)

BTW, I had 4k on the X when I got the alignment done. All they had to fix was the toe-in. The caster and camber were correct.

How much did that cost you? The toe-in that is...
Is that not covered by warranty?

Grant

Originally posted by Fantasymon
How much did that cost you? The toe-in that is...
Is that not covered by warranty?

Grant
Uh, no. The toe in is part of the alignment. I think the dealership would have laughed me out of the building if I tried to claim that one as a warranty issue. Especially after lifting the vehicle. If you aren't familiar with the terminology, toe in is the amount the wheels point towards each other. You need some toe in for the vehicle to handle well on the highway. It's checked and adjusted if necessary when an alignment is done. The adjustment is done by turning the tie rod sleeves. The only reason I know that was the only thing done when my X was aligned is because Sears provided me with the spec sheet of before and after.

Back