Help! Truck spudders/backfires when cold! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! Truck spudders/backfires when cold!

ReLoaDeD BuLLiTT

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
13' Explorer Limited Eco
My truck backfires/has a rough idle when cold, but by the time i get down the street to my stop sign, it smooths out and runs like brand new. Anyone know what this could be?

It's a 5.0

Any picture tutorials on how to fix this issue or a checklist of things to look at?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That really sounds like a vacuum leak, possibly the upper or lower intake manifold gaskets or one of the manifold bolts are loose.

I'll check all the bolts but less than 6 months ago I put in a new motor and all fresh gaskets and never had an issue until now. I was thinking it's almost like it's starving for fuel or something...i changed the fuel filter when i put the motor in 'cause it had been sitting for about a year. Maybe it's clogged up with more stuff?

check what affects cold performance...

IAT - Intake Air Temp sensor
ECT - Engine Coolant Temp sensor

Was an easy fix, thanks guys. Pulled the IAT and IAC and sprayed them with brake cleaner. They were disgusting. All better now :D

Back