01 sport trans slipping or is it a misfire | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01 sport trans slipping or is it a misfire

flipside

Reaction score
City, State
honolulu,hi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer sport
01 sport 140,000 miles kept it in top shape now it seems like trans is sliping or is it misfiring weird well excelleration from stop light is fine runs through all gears perfectly unlit islow down rpms drops at about 2 then i step on the gas it feels like it's jerking or skipping gears back and forth it also does this on high speed driving at about 55-60 when rpms drops at about 2 and below try to excellerate it does the same thing.?.............. need some advice

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That sounds more like a miss. Have you replaced your coil pack yet or better yet plugs and wires? What motor do you have?

4.0 sohc v6 welli changed my spark plugs about a year ago found that one of my spark plug was being arced by my plug wire where the boot goes on the plug didnt think nothing of it ran fine until now plan to check coil pack and some other things that i might think is causing this

Ya sounds like it would be a miss. Now i work on diesel's for a livin, but you might also want to check fuel supply. Thats were it gets expensive, but 9 times out of 10 its plugs, wires, or coil pack. I would almost bet though thats were it is, in one of those three areas.

well ihavent checked my ignition system yet will do it tomarrow day off doesnt a misfire trigger the engine light

Not all the time, most of the misfires i deal with the check engine light never comes on, unless its mutiple misfires's. Now it probably did set a code, but didn't set the light, that happens alot also, might want to go to a parts store and have them pull codes, that would atleast help you find where the miss is.

i had a very similar problem with my 01 sport trac with 125k on it. as far as the misfire code, any misfire enough to trigger a store code unless it was a one time thing will set the cel light. I cleared my problem by adjusting the transmission band, took care of 90% of mine and swapped the plugs took care of the rest. if you wan to be a cheapo like me, i regaped one side of the engine driver side is easy, as my plugs were not that old and took it for a spin. My plugs were not foul, but expanded. I run copper tip v groove ngk plug and over time the gap had opened up past .54

i have numerous problems fixed one of them yesterday replaced lower thermostat housing hat was cracked cost me 340.00 only the ford dealer at parts carry's this part whitch came with every thing today i checked my tps,coil pack everyone works properly now the problem seems to be pointing at my transmission is there a book about adjustments on transmission bands? for the spark plugs on passenger side is very easy just remove front tire and there they are simple

I don't know what band he's talking about, the only band you could adjust is the OD band, that would either soften your shifts or make them harder. I re-read your original post and forgot about the 55-60 trouble. I work on diesels and trannys (now). Normally that is when your torque converter locks up. If your running up the gears fine, and then when you run down the gears it acts up, I would now assume your torque converter is staying locked in, instead of releasing.I would almost say to go back to ford and have a tranny diag, probably cost about $120 (at least at my shop it does) tell them you think theirs something wrong with the torque converter. I will tell you this if that turns out to be it, tell them you want the hub seal replaced also. Its like $20.00 (roughly) more, but its worth it, because the tranny guy will be already there.

the 5r55e has 2 bands in the transmission that can be adjusted, read the band adjustment how to on the site.

o.k this is what i have checked so far again i have checked my coil pack,spark plugs,iac valve,tps,mass,pluged in obdII reader that read nothing all these things i have checked is in good working condition now i will check my vaccum to see if theres a leak in my manifold or any where else. But the really weird thing is this slip or misfire comes and goes this past 3 days nothing it ran perfect no jerks or anything else. this problem might return? trying to pinpoint problem no $ for shop repairs

done spark plug wires!

Back