Help with bumper brackets | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with bumper brackets

uncle mike

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 AWD XLT
A few months ago I noticed my rear shackles needed to be replace. I found this website and loved it. My 96 Explorer now rides now 4 33 inch Micky Thompson radial MTZ. But I need help with the bumper brackets I look like a fool with them bumpers 3 inchs lower then the rest of the truck. I have searched but cannot seem to find a picture or diagram that I can bring to the shop and have them made for me. I would love any help you can give me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So you installed a body lift I take it? :D

Search for 'bumper bracket diagram'. I know blee1099 has posted them somewhere.

The pictures do not show up on your link.

attachment.php

?

yeah im not seeing the pictures either....this sites been weird the last couple days.

You guys on IE8 or something? Works on my phone and work computer. Weird.

I am running windows 7 is that why I don't see the pictures? Are you sure they are the right pictures for my 96 explorer? If so I can go to a friends house and print them. I just really want to get the brackets made and finish off my truck. I have learned a lot on this site, you guys are the best, thanks.

Those will work for the rear, but the fronts are different. they are upside down U shaped.

picture.php

They have a bend in them as well. One side of the frame horn (to bolt to) is back farther.
The corner was cut off on mine for clearance of the tow hooks,

The bend.........

picture.php

Very similar to the link I posted...

I am looking for something with measurements so I can have them made for me.

Do the brackets that come with the kit for the rear work? I still have them but thought I read someplace that they didn't work on a 96.

Do the brackets that come with the kit for the rear work? I still have them but thought I read someplace that they didn't work on a 96.

Umm.. the ones in the 853 kit won't work in the rear unless you modify ie drill new holes.. But by doing that you may weaken it.. Honestly You can just go with new mounts using some plate steel.

Thanks for the answer, now I am just hoping somebody can post a picture with some measurements.

Thanks for the answer, now I am just hoping somebody can post a picture with some measurements.
The measurements for the rears are on the diagram that section525 posted, and the front is in the link he put up. You cant ask for any better than that.

You can see where to bend the fronts using the pic I gave you. Your going to have to use some of your own mechanical skills for the rest.

Those will work for the rear, but the fronts are different. they are upside down U shaped.

picture.php

They have a bend in them as well. One side of the frame horn (to bolt to) is back farther.
The corner was cut off on mine for clearance of the tow hooks,

The bend.........

picture.php

These are the only two pictures I can see, I think it has to do with the fact that I am running Windows7.

Yea there are software issues with Windows 7 or related to IE8. If your have firefox try it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what thickness of plate steel did you guys use for the fronts? 3/16?
and in the pic gman put up are the brackets pictures sideways of how they would go on? I mean the cut out spans the flare on the front of the frame horns.. thats the only logical thing i can imagine?

Back