• Register Today It's free!

4wd button odd lights

98Rig

Reaction score
City, State
Stevens Point, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
so i have been having problems with my 4wd button. since i bought the truck the 4wd didnt work and checked the module in the back and it lights up. y front button rarely illuminates at night when i turn my lights on. earlier i drove through a puddle about 7 inches deep and afterwards noticed the my 4x4 button orange light was on. i cant seem to turn it of or switch between low and 4. does this mean that its stuck in 4wd or is my slector switch just shot?

The only electrical issues I've seen concerning the t-case shift motor and sw. has been with the shift motor brushes and position sensor. Rarely does the switch or the computer go out. Check the 4x4 troubleshooting sticky at the top of the Stock 1991-1994 forum.

If I read you right, you didn't have it in 4x4, drove through a puddle and noticed that your 4x4 light is on next to 4x4 on the dash button? Am I correct? If so I would say something got wet in your shift motor wiring or you got some water in the shift motor position sensor somehow and it's telling your 4wd computer that the motor is in 4x4 when it's not.

Hmmmm... but I would think it would do SOMETHING when you pressed 4x4, at least try and turn off. Do the relays click when you press 4x4 to try and turn the light off? I could understand it if they did and it still showed in 4x4 if it was a short due to the computer thinking the motor was still in 4x4.

Maybe it will go away once it drys out?

when i try to press it to turn it off, i lose all light to switch like thiers a short in it.

Back