95exploderboy's Full Width SAS | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95exploderboy's Full Width SAS

Well I've been collecting ideas and parts for a long time now and its about time I started posting something. First off I'm gonna say that this might take a while because of the frequency that I go away for work, but I will make sure to keep everyone posted as I make progress. I have nearly all of the major parts bought and sitting in the shop, so now all I need is the time to put my SAS "kit" together.

What I have planned...

The Front
1979 F150 HP Dana 44
4.88 Yukon Gears
Aussie Locker
All new Timken bearings
Warn Premium Hubs
Stock Shafts for now
Wild Horses 5.5 springs
Stock radius arms with stone crusher extensions and heim joints
Chevy TREs with 1.5" Dom
Toyota Steering box
Square driveshaft

The Rear
1978 Ford 9"
4.86 Richmond Gears
Detroit locker
Disk Conversion
4 door hybrid leaf springs

The plan is to use the 79 upper coil buckets, not sure how I'm compensating for the full width yet. Gonna try to space the bottom coil mounts in enough to keep the springs straight. The arms will be located via a new transmission cross member/RA mount. The arms measure around 40 inches that puts them right under the transfer case. The rear will be SOA, shackles will be adjusted to level everything out. Still not sure of what will happen to the body lift, I'll see how I feel about it after I wheel it a few times.

Random pics...

Something is missing
DSCN0088.JPG

Sweet extended jack stands. They are good for about 30 inches and have a broad stable base
DSCN0093.JPG

What I ended up with:

The Front
1979 F150 HP Dana 44
4.88 Yukon Gears
Aussie Locker
All new Timken bearings
Drive Slugs
Alloy USA inner/outer axle shafts with Spicer 760 joints
Wild Horses 5.5 springs
Stock radius arms with stone crusher extensions and heim joints
Chevy TREs with 1.5" Dom
Full Hydro with single sided ram
Square driveshaft

The Rear
1978 Ford 9"
4.86 Richmond Gears
Detroit locker
Disk Conversion
4 door hybrid leaf springs

Ta Da! :D:D

DSCN0885.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mods!! Can you get this Chit-Chat out of here? This is a serious thread...

JK..

I talked with Ballistic today. I had them take my joints from their secret stash and ship them express. Unfortunately they still can't get the square tube adapters. I have a guy in Canada that can make them, but if that takes too long i'm going to use a round one with the correct OD from Ruff Stuff and just plug weld it to make sure its in there good. I don't think I'll have any problems.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Well, everything is finally tacked in place. Tomorrow I'll burn everything in and it should be good.

Hit a few snags...

Drivers side shock hoop didn't clear the master cylinder. I haven't decided if I want to redo the passenger side to match the drivers. I don't think it will hurt anything, just bugs me a little.

Have to relocate the battery.

I'll have pics tomorrow when I'm done. I've been working too much to snap any so far...

Did you get the square inserts from Ballistic? If you did double check your measurements. The ones I received will not let a joint thread all the way through them. Thus My lower links are 3/4" longer then I wanted them to be screwing up my caster. Just something to look out for.

Did you get the square inserts from Ballistic? If you did double check your measurements. The ones I received will not let a joint thread all the way through them. Thus My lower links are 3/4" longer then I wanted them to be screwing up my caster. Just something to look out for.

Ended up using round inserts. They didn't look as good after I welded them, but I ran out of time to wait for square ones. I may replace them with square ones at some point down the road.

Did ya get it all done, Taters?

Yup :D

All the fab work is done, its back together and I drove it last night. Pics will come shortly, they didn't turn out too good, but I'll post um.

Things left to do...

Tune the shocks for 5" of up travel.
Replace the radiator that has been patched for a year.
Find out why the t-case is leaking.
Reocate washer fluid and coolint res.

I only finished at midnight last night after 4 long days of wrenching, but its all good. I'll have about a nother day to finish things up, so I'll be ready to wheel by Carlisle.

That's mah boy :D Did you try flexing her out yet? I can't believe you still haven't replaced that radiator... I guess IZ's gasket seal idea worked better than we thought, huh? Lol!

What day/time are you planning on getting to Carlisle? I have a list of cheap tools and expensive parts I need so I won't be wandering around aimlessly this year. And I has a hat! So I'm not getting 2nd degree burns again!!!!

Here are som pics that Iz took while wheeling this weekend. Sorry for the lack of build pics.

DSC_00051.JPG

DSC_0033.JPG

DSC_00362.JPG

DSC_0113.JPG

DSC_0116.JPG

DSC_0140.JPG

DSC_0159.JPG

DSC_0253.JPG

DSC_0308.JPG

Picture_0016.jpg

Only problem I had was that my steering shaft started to collapse, I think it was from the frame flexing. This caused the splined end to come out of the orbital. Besides that everything was great.

Note to self.... This is what I'll use to fix my steering problem.

https://www.polyperformance.com/shop/PSC-4.75-Steering-Column-p-217.html

Very impressive! How's the D44 holding up?

Thanks!

I haven't had any issues since I tried getting out of that rock garden above in double low and front wheel drive only after I broke my rear driveshaft. I think it knows that I have a 60 sitting at home that can take its place if it acts up again. The only thing I would like is a little more width, just gotta find better wheels for that.

Hrm, I guess you don't need a steering shaft from Ray's then ;) I'm heading over today since I'm off, holler if you think of anything you need!

I'll need a new shaft at some point, but i'm gonna hold off for now until I can figure out exactly which one will work the best.

What are you pullling at Rays??

Just some interior stuffs and a hood for Frankenstein :) Might luck out and find a reverse sensor for Morgan so I'll have back up lights again too, lol.

heres a couple more for ya...

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

*is trying very hard not to repost Jake's "motivational poster" in his build thread* XD

So uhm, yeah. In case anyone wanted to know, Jake's air shocks work extremely well and I watched him put half the Explorer's weight on the passenger side radius arm when he was attempting the entrance to the Gauntlet- it didn't even bend :eek:

Oh, and I counted at least 14 Sploders at Ray's today- they expanded the lot :D

This thing is absolutely badass! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the compliments guys!

I didn't notice any unloading, but I don't think it was pushed to the point where it really had a chance to unload. We didn't hit the wildest stuff there just becasue of the mix of vehicles in the group. I do plan to get a winch before too long and then adapt it to suck the front down when necessary, or get a small 2,000# to do it full time.

I am absolutly thrilled with how the airs turned out. It is a night and day difference between these and coils. I know many guys have gotten coils to work fine for them, but they never worked the way I wanted. The airs def. got rid of any of my gripes with a RA front end.

*is trying very hard not to repost Jake's "motivational poster" in his build thread* XD

So uhm, yeah. In case anyone wanted to know, Jake's air shocks work extremely well and I watched him put half the Explorer's weight on the passenger side radius arm when he was attempting the entrance to the Gauntlet- it didn't even bend :eek:

Oh, and I counted at least 14 Sploders at Ray's today- they expanded the lot :D

I'll do it....

air_down.jpg

BTW, this wasn't from airing down, but its still a funny pic about it eventhough I never lost a bead. There is dirt in the bead that I don't feel like cleaning out until I do my beadlocks, so I just fill it up when it needs it.

Gotta love SX's.

"Dude, i think you have a flat..."

"Meh, ill check it later"

:D

Need some motivation here fellas... Anyone wanna help me with a cage? I got all the tools, just needa find the time...

Back