• Register Today It's free!

Torsion Twist?

adambone

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT V8
Hey, to be perfectly honest, I admit that I know little about lifting and the like. What exactly is a torsion twist? Furthermore, am I a fool for not having performed this to my 98' XLT? I read off of another thread that it would only be about $55 installed, is this really true? Can I really get a 2" lift (suspension or body?) for under 100 after all is said and done?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes..... do a search for "torsion twist" "shackle" "tt" youll find everything you need

the shackles are under $60 bucks and part # war-153 available on the phone from www.desertrat.com or others... the shackles lift the rear... the front is lifted for free... except the cost of a tire alignment after you are done

I forgot to mention one other thing...Is it still possible to perform a "torsion twist" to a 4x2 version?

i think yes... but am not 100% sure

yes I have a 2000 2X4 and I did the torstion twst and shackle lift...the torsion twist is just tightening 2 bolts which raises the front about 1.5-2". The shackles cost about $55 with shipping. They go on the back to replace stock shackles. They are 3" longer making a 1.5" suspension lift.. Pretty easy to install too.

Grant-P

If you want to go even cheaper on the torsion twist lift you could go for some add-a-leafs instead of the Warrior Shackles. I got mine from Summit Racing and they only cost $26.99 plus $6.75 for shipping.

Yea he is right. IMO I think you are better off with the shackles. You can also do both. If you do the torsion twist the full 2" the shackles will raise you 1.5" so using add a leafs too will bring the rear up slightly more than the front giving you a pretty big lift.
Your call though.
Grant-P

Thanks for all of the opinions! I think that I will do all of the above (including the add-a-leaf suggestion, I hadn't even thought of that) What I'm really trying to do is be able to clear a set of 33's (12.5 wide tires) and I think that this should do it (especially with the extra leafs). I'm not too worried about any rubbing because I don't really do any hard off-roading, mostly just grass and sand around here. If for some reason you don't think I can clear the 33's let me know, but I think that i can probably clear the suckers (also a key factor to think about is that i have the XLT and therefore don't have to deal with the overhanging body stylings that would be on the E.B. version). Again, thanks (and after reading about the installation, I am definately going to do this one myself)

Your crazy if you think you can fit 33x12.50's with only the tt/shackle +add a leaf!! You MIGHT be able to fit 33X10.50's. You will also have to do some cutting on the front fenders. Its not noticeble, but needed.

To fit 33x12.50 your goin to have to put a body lift on there too. Just go for like 32X11.50.

33X12.50 will also probley make you have to upgrade your gears which costs a lot.

Grant-P

really? Darn. But you seriously think that I can fit the 32's on there? That would be just as good to me. Will the 32's still be too close for comfort, or should I pop it down to 31's with 10.5 tires (the 32's would be very preferable to the 31's though)

Adambone, I am curious about your dual flowmasters, Were they hard to put on? Expensive? Also, dont they hang kind of low to the ground considering you dont have a lift yet? I had been considering some but had abandoned the idea, and now am interested again. Thanks in advance...

Alright fellas got me some more questions here goes. I have heard the maximum to go on the torsion bar is 2 inches, but I have also heard 1.75, so which is safer? I dont want to have problems with CV joints or anything. Also, Is it better to get the added leaf on the rear or the shackles? Is an extra leaf hard to put on?? And could there be any problems with the rear being too high with both the leaf and shackles? Thanks a lot in advance...

Well a couple weeks ago I did the tt/shackle lift. I then decided I was going to put some 32X11.50's on with new rims. Yes you will most likely need new rims with 32X11.50s but i could be wrong. I was almost positive that the 32's would fit. You have a 98 and I have a 2000. I think both are the same as far as fitting tires.

However I fell in love with cobra-r rims and decided to get them. So I was never able to test out 32x11.50's. They are 17's so I got 265/70/17's. They equel 31.8X10.50. 32x11.50's actually equel about 31.6x11.50. As far as rubbing excluding the swaybar (cobra's hit the sway bar much easier than most rims) I could have gone bigger. So yea I think 32x11.50's will work. I dont gaurantee it though.

What gears do you have?

Grant

The MAXIMUM on the torsion twist is 2". Dont go ANY higher. I went with 1.75" just to be a little safer.

1.5" is probley the safest but of course most people go higher since it is so tempting and easy. oh and FREE.

If your choosing either the shackles or the add-a-leafs, go for the warrior shackles. You can put both on if you want but your rear will be slightly taller. Shouldnt really be noticeable though.

I dont know about installing the add-a-leafs but ive heard its easy and it looks easy.

I really doubt there could be any problems in the rear with the shackles and the add-a-leafs.

Grant

The duals do hang a little lower than I'd like to the ground, but overall they aren't that bad. I did, however, manage to dent the underside of the right one (presumably from hitting a rock or something). I have a feeling that i was taken a bit in the price, but where I had mine done was the only place in town that said they could do it for the explorer (I have no idea why, but around here if you don't have a Chevy truck you embody the anti-christ apparently). Overall, I ended up payin 840 for the muffler back plus installation.

Also, if you go for them, DO NOT GET 30 SERIES!!!!! They make entirely too much noise. If I cruise dwon the road I can barely hear my stereo (and we aren't talking about a regular stereo here) over the pipes. Instead, go with something that still sounds futsy, but significantly less annoying. (I recommend 50's instead. A friend of mine has them on his Tahoe, and they sound great)

Grant, I take it you havent had any problems with the 1.75 that you went with?? How long did the job take you? Also, I have heard that autozone sells shackles that are only 20 bucks they just arent as beefy, whats your feeling on those? Mine will be used mainly for show/street use. I know you said it shouldnt be noticeable with both the addaleaf and the shackles, but will it be too high, could it hurt anything? Did you have to get an alignment after putting yours on? Sorry if I asked too many questions... ,,

Thanks a lot!

Thanks, Adam.

Well I am definately not a mechanic to start off with but anyways...I had a body shop do the torsion twist and shackles. Mainly because I dont have any jackstands and they only charged me $30. It took them like 30 minutes and I helped them out to make sure everything went alright. The install is very easy.. Shouldnt take 1 person more than 1-2 hours. I have had no problems with the 1.75" I dont plan on it either. Its safe. Goin exactly 2" is kinda pushing it.

I heard the autozone shackles were $20 each so a total of $40 plus tax. The warrior shackles are about $55 for both with shipping. The warriors are going to be much bettter. So go ahead and spend the extra $10. Mine is just for street too.

As for the add-a-leafs with the shackles...I have no experience with this. I was considering doin it just never got around to it. I can'T imagine it causes any problems whatsoever. The only thing I can think of is you might have to get new shocks but I really have NO idea on that. Stock shocks will work with the shackles just not sure about the combination. I am getting some new Gabriel VST shocks at pep boys in a couple days. Like $128 for 4 installed. But shocks are up to you.

I got an alignment like 3 days ago. I waited until I got my new tires. I didnt notice anything wrong with my alignment but people kept telling me I should do it since I did the lift. I did it at sears for $55. And they told me that my alignment WAS out. So yes I would recommend an alignment.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, Will those new shocks give it a little more lift?

Back