• Register Today It's free!

Cleaning Upper and Lower Intake

ViperPliskin

Reaction score
City, State
TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
'99 Explorer 5.0L - I'm rebuilding this engine for a Ranger swap. The intake manifolds, especially the lower, are very nasty. Can I soak them in degreaser or some other cleaner, like acetone?

If not, what's the best way to get the inside of those intakes clean?

Many thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your best bet would be either an engine degreaser or if you have a welding tourch then you can burn the stuff out.

Alot of people soak there intakes in degreaser overnight and they turn out a lot better. Some like new.

Does the above method work well enough for the upper intake so that nothing gets sucked back into the engine? I was originally thinking of just blasting as much of the insides as I can with a carb cleaner. But after thinking about it more, I may cause more harm by having an accumilation build up inside the upper intake and having it sucked back in.

was thinking about going this route if there were no other homemade solutions!

Don't try this at home kids...

I ended up having a very hard time getting the muck out of the upper intake, even after several overnight soaks, so I gave it a shot of oven cleaner. Man, that stuff worked great. Friggin' intake looked brand new...took off a decade worth of neglect in just a couple of minutes.

About two weeks later I noticed that Easy-Off does more than take off the baked on carbon. It also does a great job of eating away aluminum. I didn't leave the cleaner on long, so I was able to sandpaper off most of the pits.

Hopefully, not the smartest thing I do on this build.

Wow! I would've thought the same about the oven cleaners. Its a good thing I didn't try it out before I read your post.

Hmmm...maybe the safest thing to do is just leave the gunk in there? At least it'll be all intact instead of in a whole bunch of little gunk pieces just waiting to get sucked into the engine.

Back