• Register Today It's free!

Recharging A/C in 2003 XLT

joners

Reaction score
City, State
Winnipeg
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
HI There, I have a 2003 XLT. I have everything ready to go, however I do not want to connect the can to the high pressure side to find the can I have does explode. I see there is a fitting just off the compressor and then I see a fitting on the canister on the passenger side. Just wondering if anyone has recharged their system and which port I should be using?? Thanks in advance!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The high and low side fittings are different sizes. Your can will only fit on the low side
Tom

Thanks for the repsonse. After posting, I went out and figured it out as they looked a little different. Got cold A/C once again!! :D

I'm interested in doing this too.

What do I need exactly, refrigerant can wise?

I bought the Redtek 12a recharge kit from Canadian Tire.

I bought the Redtek 12a recharge kit from Canadian Tire.

From what you wrote 12a sounds like R12 also known as R-12 which was used before 1995????? R12 can't be used on our Ex's we have to use R134. . .

From what you wrote 12a sounds like R12 also known as R-12 which was used before 1995????? R12 can't be used on our Ex's we have to use R134. . .

You're right. Our Explorers use R134a. You can get it at walmart with a pressure gauge attached. A lot of the gauges are proprietary and can only be used with that brand's refills. If you look around, you can find one with a gauge that works with any refill cannister. That would be handy to have, and save you some money, if you need to refill it again someday.

The process isn't difficult at all, and only takes a few minutes. Most of the cannisters will have instructions on them. Basically, you turn on the engine with the A/C on high. Connect the hose to the only connector that will accept it in the engine (in mine it was on the front of the engine compartment on the passenger side), and rotate the can as the A/C pulls in the refrigerant. Check the pressure periodically to make sure you don't overfill it.

That's pretty much it.

the labels in the engine compartment say to use 134a . . . i'd probably go with that

the labels in the engine compartment say to use 134a . . . i'd probably go with that

Like I said in my post above yours, the product page states it's compatible with R-134 and the picture of the gauge that's included has R-134 printed on it...

redtekr134.jpg

So my 2004 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 will also use the R134?

Canadian Tire had 59.95 and 69.95 for the RedTek kit yesterday. Princess Auto has their recharge kits on sale today.

Back