DIY upgrade oem alarm (add glass break and leds) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DIY upgrade oem alarm (add glass break and leds)

rgcme33

Reaction score
City, State
Florence, South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mounty AWD V8
Well Im new to this forum and wanted to make my first post a useful one!
I appreciate all the info on this site, and I hope others find this mod, and appreciate its value.

I am going to tell you how I upgraded my factory antitheft system to incorporate a glass breakage sensor, and add additional led's in alternative locations. But first, my reasoning... I need a more comprehensive alarm than the one that came on my Mounty, but I cant afford $250+ right now, so I did my homework and for less than $30 I upgraded my alarm to suit my needs.

Seeing as how most suv breakins around here are "smash and grab" (or sometimes "smash and lengthy disconnect!") and the crooks know not to open the doors to get around our crappy antitheft system; I needed a way to protect my upcoming stereo system install.

I chose the glass break sensor to keep my horn alerts down to real theft attempts, and not thunder or exhausts. The sensor I used a a DEI(directed)506t, but any of them on ebay should work, as long as thier output is at least 100mA.

The sensor is a negative trigger input, so a Bosch relay was used, purchased from autozone.

The sensor is wired into the door pin circuit of the alarm at the harness in the drivers kick panel, its dark blue with a light green stripe.

The wiring goes like this - connect the (-) output of the glass break sensor to Pin 86 of a Bosch style relay. Connect Pin 85 and Pin 30 to constant power. Connect Pin 87 to the wire listed above.
Connect the 12vdc wire of the sensor directly to constant power, connect the ground of the sensor to an ignition wire, i forget what color it was. When the ignition is off it will rest at ground and provide ground to the sensor, enabling it. When started or on, sensor will not reach ground, disabling it.

As for the led's, also available in great variety online, I added a lead to the dark blue/light green wire at the left connector of the guage cluster, and grounded to the black one. This tapped into the existing antitheft light and I placed leds in each corner of the dash, as well as one center back glass.

The glass break sensor could be a shock sensor, perimiter radar, or any other negative trigger input alarm peripheral and would be tied in the exact same way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very nice first post! and welcome to the forum.

I'll take notes from that in case I decide to do something similar.

since you seem to be a wiz at this stuff... might there be a way to get the windows down with the factory remote? probably not.. but I had to ask.
remote start is on my list too, but I don't want another aftermarket remote and combining a factory remote start with my current system seems complicated.

Yes Curtis, you can add a roll-up module, you can connect the input to your lock, that way when you lock your doors, the windows will roll up, another module can be connected to the unlock, look around ebay for them, just type window rollup module

rgc nice post, very helpfull if it works, do you mind if I smash your windows just to check? LOL JK I'm pretty sure it works, since it's the same basic procedure to add additional sensors to an aftermarket, so not sure why it wouldn't work

rgc nice post, very helpfull if it works, do you mind if I smash your windows just to check? LOL JK I'm pretty sure it works, since it's the same basic procedure to add additional sensors to an aftermarket, so not sure why it wouldn't work

Haha, It works! Smashing not recommended, however, rapping on the glass with keys or a coin will set off the alarm. A proximity sensor or shock sensor couldve been used, but the glassbreak causes no falses.

My next step is to add some type of paging system, I just havent figured out what Im gonna use yet. Probably somekind of kids walkie talkie toy wired up to my truck, set to send a tone to the reciever i will leave inside my apartment.

welcome

Check instructables, there was something like that already there, it said something like "diy onstar"

Back