how do i bypass amp without a amp bypass harness??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how do i bypass amp without a amp bypass harness???

1993fordexploere

Reaction score
City, State
northern california (Eureka)
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 explorer xlt 4x4
anyone??? i will need half way specific directions. thanks!!

this is where im at:

DSCN2220.jpg

DSCN2221.jpg

and this is up front

DSCN2223.jpg

anyways, any help would be very very nice!!!!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aftermarket headunit? Just run your own speaker wires from it...

Get the wiring diagram for your stock amp, and splice the 2 harnesses together, or like toyp. said, just run your own wires.

im not very good with running wiring so splicing maybe???:dunno:

Well the diagram would show you what each wire is on those 2 harnesses, and you would just match up (for example) (left front+ and left front+ then left front- and left front-)

(The top harness has power, ground, remote turn on, and then 2 wires for each of the 4 speakers, the bottom one has 2 for each of the speakers, which came out of the amp. you would basically discard the power, ground, and remote wire, and match up from the top harness to the bottom one, each speaker wire. its the simple matter of stripping the insulation off, then twisting or crimping the wires together, and a piece of electrical tape lol) ill see if i can find the diagram for the amp

so like the green to green....ect??? im one of those people who cant mess up or i get discouraged after the first time lol.

Haha, im honestly not sure, I just did it the easy way and got the bypass harness for free when i bought my headunit, I cant find that diagram either of what wire is what...cus I honeslty dont want to say yea just color match them, then you turn your headunit on and BOOM lol hopefully tomorrow someone who knows more about the stock amp will chirp in

There are pigtail harnesses, with the correct male and female factory plugs needed, that connect together all the wires, WITHOUT any cutting / splicing of wires. Check your local auto sound installer or look on eBay.

What sort of amp did you pull out of the back? Did u have the factory JBL combo amp and bass speaker on the passenger rear side? What sort of factory head / radio in the dash did u have?

Thx,

its a dolby system. no bass speaker just a amp. stock stereo was all electric with tape player:rolleyes:

can i get the harness fron like kragen???

You don't want to use the bypass harness for hooking up speakers anyway since it would send the signal through the dinky factory wires that go from the receiver to the amp, which are a LOT smaller than the factory speaker wires from the amp to the speaker.

Just run your own speaker wire.

Autozone has the amp bypass harness from Metra. It's like...$19.99.

You would need that adaptor if you had the Premium Sound package.

You would need that adaptor if you had the Premium Sound package.

so what is the adapter supposed to adapt to? do i need this adapter? or do i just need the bypass and the main hook up. refer to my pictures

any one wanna help???

The one on the right is for the stereo, power and all that.
The one in the middle is for the speaker connections.
The one on the left is for the amp, it connects those 2 harnesses together, to allow you to bypass your amp.

You shouldnt have any problems with those wires, I have a serious system, using those wires and it sounds great.

That middle one plugs into that little square plug thats behind your radio, which is for all 4 speakers.

(You need all three unless your gonna splice the wires on the 2 back plugs yourself. Trust me, just buy the one on the left too lmao.)

The middle plug goes to the other connector you have in your photo. (black plastic connector, metal shim, thick gray wire cover).

That's the other part of the bypass, those are the low-level audio inputs to the factory amp. When you "bypass" the factory amp, that wiring kit uses the low-level inputs wires to send the audio signals to the speakers.

Using real speaker wire is better. And less expensive than the bypass harness. But maybe not easier.

DSCN2223-1.jpg

That middle connector connects to this plug (thats your picture)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok so that woudl hook up where on the cd player??

Back