Not what I was expecting... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Not what I was expecting...

Yet another surprise!!!

I went to change the wheel bearing out today and got another shocker. The bearing was fine. The axel nut had come loose! Cranked it back with an impact gun and voila, problem solved!!! Just to be safe we also checked the other 3 wheels, they were fine.

Anybody need a brand new Ford OEM rear wheel bearing? :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hahahaha i would have never thought of that but atleast you have a bearing for emergencies. i have been thinking about buying each on as a just in case

hahahaha i would have never thought of that but atleast you have a bearing for emergencies. i have been thinking about buying each on as a just in case

It's not a bad idea.....

The axel nut had come loose! Cranked it back with an impact gun and voila, problem solved!!!

Cranked it back?
I think the torque spec is 203 ft lbs.
It may be in the owners manual.
I wing it on some things, an axle nut is not one of them.

Cranked it back?
I think the torque spec is 203 ft lbs.
It may be in the owners manual.
I wing it on some things, an axle nut is not one of them.

The nut was loose, it got tightened. The other 3 when checked did not move under the same torque load. Now they are all tight. 203lb/ft you think? Tomorrow if I have the opportunity I'll pop the wheels back off and check them all with a torque wrench. Whether or not it is currently at spec torque, it doesn't wobble all over the place so it is safer than it was, not saying there isn't room for improvement.

Just wanted to make you aware, and yes I think so, in other words you should look it up to be sure. I'm not 100% positive.

Just wanted to make you aware, and yes I think so, in other words you should look it up to be sure. I'm not 100% positive.

Good info, thank you. Finding out what the issue was is scary enough, making sure it's fixed properly is important.

Where'd you get your bearing? I'm thinking about replacing mine soon, but all I can find online are complete hub kits. While that would be nice to have a brand new high-quality hub on each corner, at around $150 a pop, I don't have the money for that, lol...

Where'd you get your bearing? I'm thinking about replacing mine soon, but all I can find online are complete hub kits. While that would be nice to have a brand new high-quality hub on each corner, at around $150 a pop, I don't have the money for that, lol...

The rears are available as a stand alone bearing. They press into the hub. The bearing I got came directly from my friendly neighborhood Ford parts desk. Up here in Canuck-ville they run $120 a piece, bearing only. Ironically cheaper than NAPA who want $150.

You know, I've been meaning to do the BWM myself because of some well documented consistent "whining" from the front upon acceleration most of the time. I was figuring it was the front-end differential being activated from auto-4wd kicking in unnecessiarily. Now, I'm suspecting your issue - bearings. Ugh! Gotta jack it up and take a look I guess. I'm still going to flush the diffs (bought my truck with 82k miles - now at 86k). Already bought 4 qts Royal Purple and friction modifier. So little time with 2 kids and a crazy wife.

You know, I've been meaning to do the BWM myself because of some well documented consistent "whining" from the front upon acceleration most of the time. I was figuring it was the front-end differential being activated from auto-4wd kicking in unnecessiarily. Now, I'm suspecting your issue - bearings. Ugh! Gotta jack it up and take a look I guess. I'm still going to flush the diffs (bought my truck with 82k miles - now at 86k). Already bought 4 qts Royal Purple and friction modifier. So little time with 2 kids and a crazy wife.

I'd jack it up and check all four corners for play. If its all snug then you want to listen for howling noises while driving.(My wife's XLT's new hub assembly is on the kitchen table for install tomorrow). Parked it's nice and quiet but once you get rolling its a whole new story. On the highway its ridiculous. Luckily changing out front hubs isn't too hard, not sure about the back because I didn't actually have to do it. Good luck with it and keep us posted.

I'm considering changing all of the bearings. I don't specifically have any noise, but it just seems like there's something dragging more than usual. Seems like the engine has to work harder, and when I let off the gas, the speed drops a whole lot quicker than I remember. And so what you're saying is that up front my only option is the whole hub setup?

I'm considering changing all of the bearings. I don't specifically have any noise, but it just seems like there's something dragging more than usual. Seems like the engine has to work harder, and when I let off the gas, the speed drops a whole lot quicker than I remember. And so what you're saying is that up front my only option is the whole hub setup?

Yep, front end is all-in-one. The bearing is part of the hub assembly. The rears are the press in kind. Kind of a pain but what can you do?

Back