• Register Today It's free!

2008 Explorer - ergonomics?

gadabout

Reaction score
City, State
Melville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 XLT
I've noticed a couple of ergonomics issues with my 2008 Explorer EB and was wondering if anyone else has noticed either of these. I should point out that this is my third Explorer (I previously had a 1994, and a 2001), and neither of them had these issues.

1. Alignment of the brake and gas pedals relative to my natural foot position. I find that my foot sits to the right side of the brake pedal, sometimes hanging off of it and inadvertently touching the gas pedal. I've never run into this on any other vehicle before. I know that the pedal positions can be adjusted on the Limited, but can anything be done on the other models?

2. I find that when attempting to look through to the rear passenger side window, my view is obstructed by the rear seat headrest.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The headrests do annoy a bit, especially the third row ones since my boys like to sit back there a lot and the seats are usually up. I wish there were power fold switches up front for the rear seats, I wonder if I could rig some up? Haven't noticed anything about the pedals, but I don't drive it daily. I've put like 1,000 miles on it the past year, mostly trips.

This is my 4th X (91,93,99,06) and actually prefer the pedal position of the 06 vs the 99. But the 06 has adjustable pedals so this may be the reason why. (I have not adjusted them any)

With regards to the rear seat headrest, I noticed the lack of side vision on my first drive. I try to flip down the passenger side rear headrest whenever I can. Maybe even fold down the rear seat would be an option. None the less, the side vision is very poor with the large headrests.

I don't believe the headrests can be folded down on the 2008.

Sorry. Pull the strap and flip them ahead/down.

I´ve noticed the pedals issue. I solved it with the adjusting button. Brake pedal should be set in a higher level than the gas pedal, because of safety.

Rear seats headrests limit rear view, but this is a common concern with SUVs. Pull black straps everytime you can.

Chrome trim at the cluster reflects sunlight when driving along open and sunny roads, blinding the driver. During a long trip, I had to attach an adhesive stripe to the upper side of the cluster to avoid glare! Such thing happens with the chrome base of the gear shifter.

Door handles are impossible to activate when you are at the opposite side: If I´m at driver´s seat, and want to open the passenger´s door without unlocking all the doors with the door lock switch, It´s impossible to reach the passenger´s door handle and pull it upwards (In Caracas, you won´t like to unlock all your SUV´s doors everytime you need a passenger to get into the car).

If the passenger grips the A pillar "jar" handle, his or her arm obstructs the left side rear view mirror.

Apart from aesthetic reasons, I don´t see why the shifter was placed at the floor. Ergonomics were far better in my 2002, even I agree that my 2007 is more beautiful, has a better road handling, and keeps me loyal to this SUV model.

Chrome trim at the cluster reflects sunlight when driving along open and sunny roads, blinding the driver. During a long trip, I had to attach an adhesive stripe to the upper side of the cluster to avoid glare! Such thing happens with the chrome base of the gear shifter.
I've wondered about that chrome on the dash. I haven't driven it when it bothered me, but I did think about the possible reflection.

Apart from aesthetic reasons, I don´t see why the shifter was placed at the floor. Ergonomics were far better in my 2002, even I agree that my 2007 is more beautiful, has a better road handling, and keeps me loyal to this SUV model.

I read somewhere they have been moving shift levers from the steering column due to crash ratings. Supposedly they can get a better rating if the shifter is not on the column. Don't know for sure though. At least for me, I don't reach for the "missing" console shifter like I always did when I got in our Yukon, since I drive my Mustang 95% of the time!

Where is this adjusting button?

IF and only IF you have the power adjustable pedals, it is on the console below the Information Center buttons. Most likely, if you have to ask, you don't have it!

Sorry. Pull the strap and flip them ahead/down.

I didn't even know about that strap until I read your post. Thanks! In the past I just tried to fold them over and they wouldn't budge. I don't believe the owner's manual mentions the strap.

IF and only IF you have the power adjustable pedals, it is on the console below the Information Center buttons. Most likely, if you have to ask, you don't have it!

I believe only the Limited model has the adjustable pedals, for 2008 anyway.

1. Alignment of the brake and gas pedals relative to my natural foot position. I find that my foot sits to the right side of the brake pedal, sometimes hanging off of it and inadvertently touching the gas pedal. I've never run into this on any other vehicle before. I know that the pedal positions can be adjusted on the Limited, but can anything be done on the other models?

Gadabout - I have the exact same issue with my 02 Mounty. I have to turn my foot at an awkward angle to the left in order to press the brake. It appears to be aligned under the steering column, and since my right leg rests to the right of the column, I am constantly twisting and craning my leg to hit the brake. This ergonomic issue has caused the right edge of my brake pedal cover to wear through completely, and me to feel somewhat unsafe as far as braking is concerned. I noticed it right away when i purchased my Mounty, but thought Id get used to it. I havent.

I dont have adjustable pedals either, but they would only move forward or back anyway, not helping the issue. I was only able to relieve the issue slightly by adjusting my seat position to accommodate the necessary movement to the pedal.

I looked under the dash to see if there was anything that could be adjusted, but without bending the brake pedal arm closer to the gas pedal, which would require removing it from the car, no dice.

The only soloution I have come up with would be an aftermarket pedal set that mounts over the current pedals. They come in different sizes for cars and trucks, etc. and one with a wider brake pedal surface, or one that could be installed offset to the right a bit would help the problem. Ive yet to purchase a set yet though, fearing that offsetting the pressure of my foot on the pedal may screw up the master cylinder or something.

If I slide the seat back a bit a ride with my right leg under the steering column (uncomfortable), the problem goes away. I cant imagine what its like for guys who are taller or heavier than I am at 6'1" 185lb repositioning legs might not be an option.

Due to the design of the pedal system, and the design of our legs, I dont see how anyone could place thier foot squarely on the brake pedal, instead it a hang off the corner affair for me, and it feels, well, unsafe.

Sorry for the long post, but this has been the biggest issue with this truck, for me. Anyone with similar experience please respond, and If you have any suggestions of how to improve the condition, please post.

gadabout said:
I believe only the Limited model has the adjustable pedals, for 2008 anyway.

My 07 EB has it; works great for the wife, she's only 5' 1".

Haha, my girl is 5' and her feet wont touch the floor, but she can reach the pedals!

LOL! My wife is 4'11" and she drives with the seat set at the same place I set it at, and I'm 5'9". She has no problems with the pedals. I thought that the adjustable pedals would be nice to have, but couldn't find a used Explorer with them and everything else we needed in my price range.

Back