• Register Today It's free!

2000 xlt explorer leaning

redemption5525

Reaction score
City, State
colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xlt
Howdy, my 2000 XLT is leaning to the left for some reason, its not noticable while driving, but looking from the rear and head on it is leaning for sure, any thoughts? I am about to drive from Tennessee to maryland, maryland to North Carolina, North carolina to Denver in my beast. 2800 mile, so owndering if this is something to be oncerned about... also when I brake from high speeds car vibrates, not violently but enough to notice... Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Howdy, my 2000 XLT is leaning to the left for some reason, its not noticable while driving, but looking from the rear and head on it is leaning for sure, any thoughts? I am about to drive from Tennessee to maryland, maryland to North Carolina, North carolina to Denver in my beast. 2800 mile, so owndering if this is something to be oncerned about... also when I brake from high speeds car vibrates, not violently but enough to notice... Thanks

It is a known problem for it to lean on the drivers side because of the gas tank and driver weight sagging the leaf spring over time.
But also check the front stabilzer links. Those are known to break and cause the truck to lean on one side.
The vibration sounds like a warped rotor, easy to replace.

Thank you kindly, you think I will be ok to make this trip and then get these taken care of back in Denver? really dont have the time to start doing this im leavin in a week

The lean you shouldn't worry about, but if an endlink is broken that's a serious problem.. but I doubt it's broken or you'd notice extreme leaning from side to side when you take a turn. As far as the braking problems, just take it easy on the brakes and get them fixed as soon as you can.

Your vibration while braking could just be a warped rotor. If this is the case, its a fairly easy and cheap fix.

As for the leaning, as others have said it is common for the driver side to lean in the rear due to offset weight. If the leaning is due to a broken part, you could put yourself and others in danger by driving the vehicle. However, if it's just leaning due to the afformentioned reason, then you should be fine on your trip.

Back