Unlocking drivers door with key, lock is picky.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Unlocking drivers door with key, lock is picky..

inh

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Springfield(ish), MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS
What happens is when I unlock the door with the key, i have to flick the key really fast to pop the little knob up high enough. If I just turn the key normally, it will only go up about half way and when I pull the handle the knob goes down and it locks completely. I literally have to unlock it really quick to get the knob to pop up high enough.

I've looked around and haven't found anything about issues with the key, just power door lock issues..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it's a similar issue. I had the power door lock issue recently and the key wouldn't pop up either. It's a pretty common occurrence with our 2nd gens. :(

Yea, but in the power lock issue threads I read it said that usually the latch needs to be lubed, or there is a spring that breaks and sticks out. But if that happens the lock doesn't work at all.

I dunno man, I just dont want to have to fork over the cash to replace the latch and find out that's not the problem. I'm kinda stuck though because I don't have keyless entry so it needs to be fixed...

Yea, but in the power lock issue threads I read it said that usually the latch needs to be lubed, or there is a spring that breaks and sticks out. But if that happens the lock doesn't work at all.

I dunno man, I just dont want to have to fork over the cash to replace the latch and find out that's not the problem. I'm kinda stuck though because I don't have keyless entry so it needs to be fixed...

Try and find a thread where someone mentioned tury rigging the mechanism with a zip tie or adding a helper spring. That's what I did to solve my problem (zip tie) and it's been fine since. I also use that lock lube stuff (loaded with graphite) to keep the mechanism working well, but I do have keyless entry. I've heard it's not as necessary if you're using a key because the keylocks seize when not used, but it can't hurt.

I think it's the basic problem as with the power locks. The latch itself is the same part with or without power door locks so it makes sense they would have the same failure. Even though I have the power locks I often use the key and mine had the same symptoms you describe when using the key. I just replaced mine today with a new latch from Ford. Part was about $42 with tax and it took less than an hour.

This writeup helped me quite a bit:

www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170619&highlight=replace+door+latch

i had a simmilar problem. mine turned out both the springs on the exterior door handle were broken, this made it seem like someone was lifting the handle when you tried to unlock. i fixed mine with some robust springs from the hardware store and some creativity.

I feel yur pain....

What happens is when I unlock the door with the key, i have to flick the key really fast to pop the little knob up high enough. If I just turn the key normally, it will only go up about half way and when I pull the handle the knob goes down and it locks completely. I literally have to unlock it really quick to get the knob to pop up high enough.

I've looked around and haven't found anything about issues with the key, just power door lock issues..

What you are describing sounds like the very common explorer "door-lock-button-spring-broke-due to bad ford engineering" problem.
I had it myself, and fixed it, It can happen to remote unlock cars or regular unlock cars.

I suspect you do not need to replace the door latch, or lock, or any major unit of the door hardware, just re-spring a little connector block. The fix takes a little time, maybe an hour, (you have to remove the inner door panel) but it is pretty simple. Here's a link to a thread where I fixed mine. It's post #78, a ways down the page... Good luck!

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165081&page=4

Drivers side door knob doesn't always open

I have a similar issue - the drivers side door sometimes will not unlock. When this happen it won't unlock with the FOB (keyless entry thingie) or with the actual key being inserted in the lock. I have to open the rear door and reach my arm forward to the interior door handle and pull that to open the door.

I had the dealer take a look and they said there is a 'motor' I think he said actuator??? maybe but don't quote me - I try but some of that stuff goes over my head :p:

Anyway he said ~200 to replace. So I will live with reaching forward and just hope it keeps working that way.

Any ideas on a better do it at home fix?

As others have said, it's a pretty common issue. I did something very similar to the poster above you did and it works like a charm. Just wish I'd seen this thread before I fixed mine, would have made it a lot faster.

Back