• Register Today It's free!

96 Sport - Restoration?

bender

Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Limited
My brother has had a 96 sport which he had since new in Oct 95. last october it required a great deal of work to pass inspection (although still running like a champ @ 197k miles). he got a 4 door wrangler and kept the explorer to sell private party. the sale lingered and has officially fell through. the car has been sitting other than a few trips around the block due to it not being inspected. I am considering taking it on as a project, but dont want to lose money in the deal.

the items required to pass inspection include:
1 set of rotors + pads
4 new tires
exhaust work
body work (rocker panels)

like i said it was running fine, transmission and engine still going strong, tranny was replaced at 80k miles so this one has 110k+ on it.

all electrical, 4x4, and accessories (for the most part) work.

he would let me have it for $400. I am thinking replace the brakes, buy 4 cheap tires (craigslist or classifieds), get some exhaust work fab'd up and do some cheap sheet metal/herculiner body work on the rockers.

Thoughts on the reality of me pulling this off on a real small budget, the life left in it etc...i am thinking i could get it inspection-worthy for about $750. think the vehicle is worth ~$1200 when it is all said and done? I have minimal experience in all of these arenas, but am willing do get dirty.

interior is in good shape, and it was the upscale sport package with cloth buckets, power everything, etc.. 1 owner, zero damage or body work done. maintained well. just old and tired.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I say get it anyways...even if it means waiting to get it inspection-worthy

because thats a helluva deal on an explorer 4x4

I love those old Sports.

Sounds like it's basically not too bad, with a good
drive train. Should be an easy fix for little money.....

I am considering taking it on as a project, but dont want to lose money in the deal.

As someone who has "restored" 9 Taurus SHO's, and 5 Thunderbird SC's to the point of looking decent and roadable to live on, don't go into it expecting that to not happen- if you want to take on the project, enjoy it. Rarely do you get money out of them. It sounds like a worth candidate! :)

Remember that you are putting money into an Explorer. Do so with caution. It has no worth as a classic or otherwise. Might turn out you put a saddle on a sow.....

i saw go for it :thumbsup: thats really not too much work, all the info you could need would be right here and its some pretty easy work (other than body work which ive never come close to doing) start a rebuild thread and keep us posted, i would definetly subscribe ;)

Back