Off Road performance gains | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Off Road performance gains

Hmm.....must find way to put portal boxes on Explorer IFS/IRS, lol....

And as far as Torsens....just get lockers.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow there is a bunch of crazy talk on here.
Thelt, I thought you had some lift on?
You definitely dont need 6"s of lift for 285's. They are 1" taller than 265's.
Any suspension lift you do will raise your clearance.
Also something that will help you offroad alot is a locker. Even if you're dragging the locker will keep traction and pull through. Aussie and powertrax are cheap options.

I did have a RB lift but I took it off and sold it. I was planning on trading in the Ex and figured it would hurt its trade in value. I had a change of plans though. I am just wondering if it is worth the money for the lift since I can run 265s stock. The boots on my upper ball joints are cracked on both sides up front. I wonder if the RB spacers had anything to do with that.

I did have a RB lift but I took it off and sold it. I was planning on trading in the Ex and figured it would hurt its trade in value. I had a change of plans though. I am just wondering if it is worth the money for the lift since I can run 265s stock. The boots on my upper ball joints are cracked on both sides up front. I wonder if the RB spacers had anything to do with that.

Hmm, I hope not. You were probably right, I didnt get squat for my trade in.
I guess the real question is how much is it worth to you to be a bit more off road capable. I still think that a locker in the rear would pull you through most that you do as long as you have good tread on the tires. And oops I traded again...http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh134/jutgin/001-7.jpg

Yes but an H1 has a Portal box at the hub and a Torsen in the differential.

Very good, I love this design. It's a T-1 front and rear.
Tons of ground clearance with the portal and next best thing to a locker but still pavement friendly with the Torsen.
I heard the FX4 Ranger had Torsens, do a swap? Dont know if it's the T-case or diffs though...

Hmm, I hope not. You were probably right, I didnt get squat for my trade in.
I guess the real question is how much is it worth to you to be a bit more off road capable. I still think that a locker in the rear would pull you through most that you do as long as you have good tread on the tires. And oops I traded again...http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh134/jutgin/001-7.jpg

How do you like the TJ? I am thinking about trading for an XJ. I can get a good deal on a 2000 with 118k. Those things seem to all go for over 200k miles.

How do you like the TJ? I am thinking about trading for an XJ. I can get a good deal on a 2000 with 118k. Those things seem to all go for over 200k miles.

If you do go for the heep have fun fixing it I tried that route for a little bit and got really annoyed and I'm pretty sure my explorer would keep up with the yj I had with its limited slip and 3.73 gears, the thing I;m guessing why you see everyone with a tire off the ground is they still have the sway bars connected.

Love it, it's actually an LJ, which is just a TJ thats extended. I love the XJ's also, bullet proof I6. I would own a XJ. They are rare but you can find them with leather.

If you do go for the heep have fun fixing it I tried that route for a little bit and got really annoyed and I'm pretty sure my explorer would keep up with the yj I had with its limited slip and 3.73 gears, the thing I;m guessing why you see everyone with a tire off the ground is they still have the sway bars connected.

They stopped making the YJ in 1996, technology has brought the wrangler quite a ways since then.

I had thought about doing the cash for clunkers deal but I am not sure I can find anything I like that gets good enough gas mileage. I looked at a Jeep Patriot but it is basically a car with AWD. They make a trail rated version but none of the dealers around here have one.

DSCN2946.jpg

ATT00200.jpg

take care of the drag or any issue that the old upper control arms had there are 100% the way to go when you are using any lift kit option.

Where do you get those control arms and ball joints? How much are they?

Just poking through this thread and I have to ask, if 265's fit stock, how does anybody figure that 6" of lift is required to fit a tire that is only 1/2" taller at any point you measure it and not that much wider???

I have run both Dick Cepek Mud Country's and BFG AT's on my truck stock, (265/75R16) with lots of room. There is no way I need 6" of lift to move up 1/2" !!!

As 86 pointed out before, he ran 285's stock. May have rubbed a bit, but they fit. This "lift your truck to the moon to fit 285's" nonsense has got to stop.

Just poking through this thread and I have to ask, if 265's fit stock, how does anybody figure that 6" of lift is required to fit a tire that is only 1/2" taller at any point you measure it and not that much wider???

I have run both Dick Cepek Mud Country's and BFG AT's on my truck stock, (265/75R16) with lots of room. There is no way I need 6" of lift to move up 1/2" !!!

As 86 pointed out before, he ran 285's stock. May have rubbed a bit, but they fit. This "lift your truck to the moon to fit 285's" nonsense has got to stop.

There is a difference between getting something to work on the street and getting it to work on the trail. You might stuff some 285s under it stock but what happens if you take it off road or just go over a big bump somewhere? I think I am going to go back to 265s and not get another lift. I am running 235/70/16s right now (they were free) so going back to 265s will be significant.

I agree with that point. I wouldn't try to stuff 285's on it stock. The 265's fit nicely. My point about the 285's was that yes a lift is required to run them effectively, but 6" is way more than needed.

As for you going back to 265's, have you decided on a tire yet? Also, will you be doing any kind of lift at all or just staying stock?

the only time you need to go that high is if you plan on going with big rubber i will try 315 75 16 when get back from vacation put on lifts and go big and in my case it's to go off road 285 just go with 1 lift but i have notice that some people have problem with 265 stock i think it come down to witch assembly plan your x was made at.

I agree with that point. I wouldn't try to stuff 285's on it stock. The 265's fit nicely. My point about the 285's was that yes a lift is required to run them effectively, but 6" is way more than needed.

As for you going back to 265's, have you decided on a tire yet? Also, will you be doing any kind of lift at all or just staying stock?

I am not sure about a tire yet. I have to replace my ball joints first. The boots are cracked on the uppers on both sides. I had a set of BFG rugged trails but I took them off and sold them a while back. I will have to check around and see what kinda deal I can get.

I am not doing a lift again.

I am not sure about a tire yet. I have to replace my ball joints first. The boots are cracked on the uppers on both sides. I had a set of BFG rugged trails but I took them off and sold them a while back. I will have to check around and see what kinda deal I can get.

I am not doing a lift again.

I just put on brand new BFG AT's. Love 'em, great tires. WAY better than the Dick Cepek Mud Country's I had. Just drove from Toronto to Chicago and back. Handled great on road and were nice and quiet. Just a thought.

the only time you need to go that high is if you plan on going with big rubber i will try 315 75 16 when get back from vacation put on lifts and go big and in my case it's to go off road 285 just go with 1 lift but i have notice that some people have problem with 265 stock i think it come down to witch assembly plan your x was made at.

That was awful to read. Try spacing it out and some periods.
I'd love to see 35's on a 3rd gen.

I have a 2.5" lift I removed from mine after 1 week of use, about 100miles... if anyone is interested... $200 shipping included... NO TWO MONTH WAIT!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back