97 Mountaineer Detail *teaser pics* | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Mountaineer Detail *teaser pics*

Here's a few teaser pics before I get back to work on the passenger side:

BEFORE:

DSC_3294.jpg

DSC_3295.jpg

DSC_3296.jpg

DSC_3297.jpg

AFTER:

DSC_3298.jpg

DSC_3299.jpg

DSC_3300.jpg

DSC_3301.jpg

DSC_3302.jpg

DSC_3303.jpg

I should have all the pictures of the finished product up tomorrow. Want it to be perfect so I'm taking my time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good job.

Moving on to the rest of the passenger side of the vehicle (before wax/sealant)

BEFORE:
DSC_3318.jpg

DSC_3319.jpg

DSC_3320.jpg

AFTER:

DSC_3321.jpg

DSC_3322.jpg

DSC_3323.jpg

DSC_3324.jpg

DSC_3325.jpg

DSC_3326.jpg

DSC_3327.jpg

DSC_3328.jpg

I assume you are going to tell us what you are doing to make your truck look so fantastic?!

BEFORE:
DSC_3306.jpg

DSC_3307.jpg

DSC_3308.jpg

DSC_3309.jpg

AFTER:

DSC_3310.jpg

DSC_3311.jpg

DSC_3312.jpg

DSC_3313.jpg

DSC_3314.jpg

DSC_3315.jpg

DSC_3316.jpg

I assume you are going to tell us what you are doing to make your truck look so fantastic?!
LOL! Thank you bro...here's the basic rundown of my process. Give or take a few steps:

I washed the truck using a 2 bucket method. (one bucket filled with soap and water, the other bucket filled with plain water and a grit guard at the bottom to separate the dirt from the water).

Next, I blew dry the car with a metro vac n blo (a vacuum that doubles as a blower).

Next I taped off the entire truck and made sure there was no dirt, and did the 'newspaper bag trick'. (ran my hand in a newspaper bag down each panel making sure there were no contaminants and dirt in the paint) which there wasn't because I just had it painted a few months back.

Next, I hit the truck with some m105 polish on a wool pad with a rotary with 2 passes, followed buy some m205 on a lake country blue pad with a dual action polisher and then wiped down/checked my work with some isopropyl 92 percent alcohol with microfibers.

That's the gist of what I did. I'm sure I left a couple steps out.

So you are just buffing and polishing it, I still need to color sand and buff/polish mine

So you are just buffing and polishing it, I still need to color sand and buff/polish mine
it has a brand new paint job and the body shop cut me such a good deal because i agreed to do the finishing work (polishing). So all wetsanding, etc was done prior and this is fresh/soft paint, so my polishes finished down real nice for me. :)

Which wax and/or sealant you plan on using?

Which wax and/or sealant you plan on using?
souveran wax and poorboys ex-p sealant. always treated me well over the years. in between, i stick a coat of danase wet glaze to get a shine like this:

IMG_4376.jpg

The Megs 105 205 is a killer combo. Well done! Have you tried the UC yet? Works amazing...

Wow amazing work man.
I wish I could afford a new paintjob on my 95, but that wont be for a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnng time lol.

The Megs 105 205 is a killer combo. Well done! Have you tried the UC yet? Works amazing...
Thank you! ...uc? ultimate compound? not sure what that's short for.

Wow amazing work man.
I wish I could afford a new paintjob on my 95, but that wont be for a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnng time lol.
lol, my tax return at work :) Thanks!

LOL this is my first year working, so hopefully ill have a nice tax return next year...if I even get one HAHA.

How much was the paintjob, and whered you get it?

LOL this is my first year working, so hopefully ill have a nice tax return next year...if I even get one HAHA.

How much was the paintjob, and whered you get it?
friend of mine is in the business and did it for basically materials cost. we bartered most of the labor for computer work (my profession). I paid about 1k out of pocket. typically he charges about 2-3k for paintjobs like mine with all the bodywork/shaving that went on.

Cool. I'm a Werkstatt kinda guy, lol I do have some CMW, Lusso Orro, Paste Glaz, PBs Red, Blue.

Nice Work, what time should I bring my Ex over. FYI older ya get less time you have for detailing so enjoy it while it lasts. Lately Im lucky to get a few coats of basic Megs Car cleaner/wax on per year. Used to use No.26? but no time for it... Still havent tried a power waxer/buffer but have a new generic one sitting on a shelf for 8 years now. Hesitant to try it without any experience.

Ahh--you're a taper and a halogen user. I see there's a few of us who frequent Autopia here. :)

The results are fantastic.

My results with the PC, Sonus pads and polishes, Werkstatt, etc. from a while ago. Sadly, life has taken away the free time needed to spend days perfecting it. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193154

lol thanks guys :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you! ...uc? ultimate compound? not sure what that's short for.

Yep- it's for the new Ultimate Compound. I spent some quality time with Snowball today, and amazed at how far I got 14+ year old paint without scuffing first- it was bad. I took some pics, but I won't clutter your thread- cuz you're on a roll with the Mounty! :thumbsup:

Awesome job- those that don't detail don't understand how hard it is to correctly detail a black vehicle. I used to spend waaaaay too much time on my SHO. I'm glad Snowball is white!

Back