2003 Pre-buy help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Pre-buy help

xr4ti

Reaction score
City, State
WI
Hello everyone,

I just had a look at a 2003 EB. It has the V8, and about 88000 miles on the clock. It is VERY clean, probably the best I've seen, it's the second owner who bought it with 10k from the dealer. (Apparently it was a demo). He did all the oil changes himself every 3 to 5k (There was a hand written log in the sunglass compartment)

He said that the front two wheel bearings and hubs were replaced. I'll be doing a carfax and an OASIS from the dealer.

On the test drive, I could feel a definite vibration on the steering wheel. Not bad jerking like vibration, but more like a droning feel, like I could feel the road through the steering wheel. (Hard to explain, I know). It was also a little noisy in the cab from the front end, so something is definitely up there. The owner said he doesn't notice it, but then again he drives it every day.

What would be causing that? I suppose it could be anything.. The tires are fairly new. The brakes do not squeal, and it stops nice and straight with no shimmy. The rest of the truck feels really tight. All the CV boots look fresh, and there are no oil leaks anywhere that I could see.

Anyhow, any ideas would be appreciated. I wonder if I could get it to a shop to have that looked at? Price is 8k OBO. I don't mind putting a little work into it to make it 100%, I'd just like to know what I'm up against.

P1010194.JPG

P1010195.JPG

P1010196.JPG

P1010197.JPG

P1010198.JPG

P1010199.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a good deal. Could just need a good tire rotation and alignment.

Though my truck is running fine, after reading some of the stuff I've read on this board, I'm not sure I'd buy my X if I had it to do over again.

Never buy a 2002, and try to skip a 2003. In other words, buy a 2001 (second generation) or older -- or buy a 2004 or newer. The 2002 and some 2003s have a run of broken rear coil springs and differential problems. If I had a choice, I'd buy a 98-01 5.0L V8.

Agree with IZwack. I would not buy the explorer. Especially not for $8K.

Thanks for the input. It's really a shame, I like this generation of the FE, too.

My outlook is different, and I came by it honestly.

I sold my 97 (loaded) Ex t o buy my current 2002 (the 'don't buy' model year).

My 2002 is in almost every way a better Ex than my '97 (I really, really liked my 97, BTW). Additionally, I have had better service with my 2002 than with my 1997, and it was not a bad one - kept it to 80K miles.

Do what you want but 8K is a good price for a loaded '03. It may collapse tomorrow, but I doubt it.

As far as the front end goes, it could be that he installed cheap aftermarket or bad wheel bearings, or that they have simply gotten knackered again over time, or tires, rotors, or tie rod ends.

I think that to be sure, get a professional inspection of the truck before buying, paying particular attention to the tranny, wheel bearings, rear springs, and electricals.

let me know what you find out about the front end. my 04 is the same way and i cant figure it out.

good luck. seems like a good deal.

Never buy a 2002, and try to skip a 2003. In other words, buy a 2001 (second generation) or older -- or buy a 2004 or newer. The 2002 and some 2003s have a run of broken rear coil springs and differential problems. If I had a choice, I'd buy a 98-01 5.0L V8.

2003 and 2005 are the two most reliable years for 3rd generation Explorers according to a very large and well respected car-rating company.

hello

NO sunroof??

does it have a large hitch receiver?

V-8 or V-6?

i'd be very cautious about the vibration thing...unless owner fixes it you would/might have to live with it.

you could probably buy it for less. have you checked the trucks value?

some thoughts and questions

Looks good, from the door tag its a V8 with 3.73 LSD, kinda of rare. It means it has the tow package. No parking sensors from the looks of it.
Aug '02 build, where was it built?
Is it AWD?
Does it have Audiophile?
Rear DVD?

I'm not in the market for used, so no idea on the price. Looks clean, good buy otherwise.

i have an 03 v8 4x4 and i love it, its never had the suspesion issues or LSD issues, i just put in a new motor because i was tired of shooting spark plugs USE MOTORCRAFT!!!!. the 2003's are my favorite gen 3 explorer because they still have a cable based throttle body (and thus can be easily upgraded + replaced), for 8k id deffinately hop on it man, i paid 9.9 for my explorer last year. with 89K.

Back