What to look for when buying 02 XLT Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What to look for when buying 02 XLT Explorer

Wannaex

Reaction score
City, State
Queensland
Hi all we are looking at buying an 02 ex. We've found one that "has been meticulously maintained and serviced", however it has 220 k km on the clock. As I am definately no expert, I was just wondering exactly what I should look for to ensure it isn't going to cost us a fortune

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After being on this board for only a short time, I wouldn't touch an '02.

Well that sucks! Are they a dudd year? Which year is better, we probably cannot afford any newer unfortunately.

If you want the 02, have it checked over really good and get a warranty. You should be able to neogotiate the price enough to have one included.

Lots of folks have had some 'first year' issues with Explorers, then on the other hand, many of these issues did not end after the first model year.

As for my 2002, bought new in 2002, and now with 101K miles, it has been almost completely trouble-free, so go figure.

Good Luck.

Same here - I have a 2002 XLT 4x4 with 102K miles, purchased used in 2003. Has been a GREAT ride...so far. :)

If you want the 02, have it checked over really good and get a warranty. You should be able to neogotiate the price enough to have one included.

Really get someone trustworthy to look at it... Really

The biggest problem I've heard of is the transmission. It's supposed to be fixed for 2003.

welcome

Go read carcomplaints.com. 02 is number one, 03 is number 9, 04 is number 13. I got lucky and have an 02. 3 window motors, tranny, rear end, 4 wheel bearings, throttle cable, black box, gas tank gauge, sun roof leaks if car is parked in certain direction..hmm what else is left?

Its up to you...:thumbdwn:

Go read carcomplaints.com. 02 is number one, 03 is number 9, 04 is number 13. I got lucky and have an 02. 3 window motors, tranny, rear end, 4 wheel bearings, throttle cable, black box, gas tank gauge, sun roof leaks if car is parked in certain direction..hmm what else is left?

Cracked plastic trim across the back???

Darn, forgot about that one...lucky me, i dont have that issue yet.

I have an 02 Limited, 4.6 V8. To date have had dropped timing chain @ 120k ( problem with design of early 02 chain guides), problems with emission system, yet to be found, 4X4 control module (Ford can't even find this in parts manual). Got price today for latch for cover over jack compartment, would you believe approx$320.00. Nice car to drive though!

I have an '02. bought with 22,000 miles on it, currently has 140,000. Have had to have inner and outer bearings put in rear end. Also check to see if the RECALL has been done on the rear window hinges. My rear window exploded in my hands and i only had it half way closed. Was out of warrenty but Ford paid for everything.

The biggest problem I've heard of is the transmission. It's supposed to be fixed for 2003.

it's not fixed for 03, it's fixed for 04-05

the explorer was also the number one selling SUV for those years, so you have to remember the number of complaints verse number of units sold.

Also, no one is saying the 02's are super reliable.

it's not fixed for 03, it's fixed for 04-05

naw, i think the trannys are fixed in '05. lol . .been reading and a few '04's needed rebuilds too. '05 seem clean imo.
Good news it might have been rebuilt already. Keep an eye out for delayed engagement of gear.

Back