I need help choosing new tires. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need help choosing new tires.

2007 Limited with 29K miles needs the Michelin X terrains replaced, it runs on stock 235 65 18 wheels. I am not happy with the mileage achieved on the OE tires but would like to stick with the raised OWL if at all possible. From what I can find that leaves me the following choices. Same Michelins at a huge premium, Firestone Destination LE's, Bridgestone Dueler Alenza's or Dueler 684's. Blackwalls are an option and allows many choices but it isn't my preference.

All my research turns up horribly conflicting results, what I do know is the Michelins are worn way too soon on this vehicle.

Any suggestions on replacements would be appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got raised white letter Cooper Discoverer ATR's on mine- great tires, great grab in inclement weather and snow, ride nice, barely look used, and I have over 30k on them...

BFG Long Trail Tour is also available in 235/65/18.

Have Destination LE's on my 99 with about 60k on them. Good tire for everyday highway use.

As far as I could tell the the Cooper choices in 235/65/18 were for Discoverer CTS or CS4's both available in blackwall only.The same goes for the BFG Radial long trail Tour. Is there someplace you know of that has them in OWL?

My 02 had the cross terrains as oem. 4.5 years ago they wore out too quick like yours, went over to Discount Tire and told them my story. They contacted michelin and they offered me buy 3 and get 1 michelin tire free deal. I got the ltx m/s tires. Just replaced them today, 75 k on them with 4/32 left. I got the cooper cts for $497 otd from Discount Tire. Cooper is running $75 visa card rebate now til end of Oct. of course my size is 235/70/16..

discount tire is also running $70 rebate on select michelin and bfg tires until sept 6th.

good luck...

I have Michelin LTX M/S and LOVE them. Great traction in snow/mud/rain/dry conditions and are dead silent at 70mph. I paid a pretty penny for them at $730 installed but they ride so soft and smooth its worth it to me.

Bought tires this weekend

Went with Firestone Destination LE's they are buy 3 at regular price get the 4th free this month at Firestone stores. All four mounted & installed for a total including tax OTD for $636. Figure if they last as long as the Michelins did (30K miles) then I saved $300 as the Michelin's were going to be $978 OTD... What I did want to mention was the Firestone store puts you on the alignment machine and doesn't charge you anything if your alignement is OK. I figure no-one gets away without a $70 "needs the alignment" speech. well geuss what they were actually honest and said mine was fine..

Back