• Register Today It's free!

Lots of play in the gear shifter

94_XLT

Reaction score
City, State
No.VA!!
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Ok I have the 5 speed manual. There is about...i would say 4 inches of play in each gear (left to right) and it almost feels like neutral was before i got my clutch changed. Any idea what is wrong and how to fix it?

Edit: just to clarify. The gears still grab just fine. Its just there is alot of play between gears and i am wondering if there is any way to fix it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So there is play with the shifter and not the tranny....

If it was mine I would look at where the shifter and tranny meet. There is a bolt and nut that have to be tight to loose this play you feel

I am assuming its with the shifter and not the tranny because it is still grabbing perfect....my friend proved it by spinning my baby out after we got the driveshaft back on. if it is the tranny...would that mean mine is going out?

Shifter bushings.

There should be a write up with the part numbers here or on the ranger station.

-Chris

Shifter bushings.

There should be a write up with the part numbers here or on the ranger station.

-Chris

I used the search function Chris and I could not find anything. Mind getting me a link? Anything to fix the play in the gears would be nice.

I went out and relooked the shifter...its more like 2 inches of play in each gear. Still have no clue on what to do :p:

Awesome thanks man. How had was it to fix?

Awesome thanks man. How had was it to fix?

pretty easy....about a half hour taking it slow and making sure everything went back in the right order.

Okay. So this is gonna set me back about 50 bucks? and I dont need any special tools right? also how much transmission fluid am i gonna need since I saw you changed yours when you did this. (yes i know ATF) and do i need anything special to drain the tranny because my friend said you do. also im assuming i fill the tranny from the engine?

uhm you dont have to drain the tranny to do this. but if you really want to drain it you would just pull out the plug on the driver side of the tranny and let it drain out...then put the plug back in and locate to fill plug(same side just up higher) and pump it in untill its level with the hole...like spilling back out. but really that wouldnt be needed for this repair.

as for tools...you will need a torx bit to get the shifter seal off......but thats it. o and also make sure you put the trans in neutral when you pull the short part of the shifter out....and then dont move the linkage inside...otherwise youll have a heck of a time getting it back together.

uhm you dont have to drain the tranny to do this. but if you really want to drain it you would just pull out the plug on the driver side of the tranny and let it drain out...then put the plug back in and locate to fill plug(same side just up higher) and pump it in untill its level with the hole...like spilling back out. but really that wouldnt be needed for this repair.

as for tools...you will need a torx bit to get the shifter seal off......but thats it. o and also make sure you put the trans in neutral when you pull the short part of the shifter out....and then dont move the linkage inside...otherwise youll have a heck of a time getting it back together.

If you say so....I'll save the tranny fluid for next time then.

Back