Front Wheel Bearing Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Wheel Bearing Question

rmeken

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
I believe that i have a wheel bearing going bad i have a sound when driving but if I turn wheel a bit to the left it will stop so does this mean it is the right wheel bearing?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My front left one went bad and made a grinding noise when going straight and even worse when turning left. The grinding noise was consistent with the rotation of the wheels, meaning the faster I went the faster the grinding noise. Could be the right one, or could be totally unrelated to the bearings...

There is a great post below on how to replace your bearings. I punked out and took it to the dealer and got fleeced, but its driving much better now.

Good luck!

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251915

I believe that i have a wheel bearing going bad i have a sound when driving but if I turn wheel a bit to the left it will stop so does this mean it is the right wheel bearing?

Thanks

If you turn the wheel to the left the right bearing is under load while the left is not.

unloaded left bearing and the noise stops, 'sounds' like the LEFT bearing. I'd take the wheel off and see if there is any play in the wheel 12pm 6pm try and wiggle the rim. It might make the diagnostic 100% if you can find some wiggle room.

i had similar problem. I replaced both since when one fails the other is soon to follow.

Wanted to add that noisy bearings (for my 4X4's anyway) always showed some play if you jacked up the wheel and wiggled it. I was told that this type of bearing should never have any play if it is healthy. I just did the procedure listed above, and it was not difficult. I did not need a puller to get the axle loose, I could push it in with my thumb after the nut was removed. Plus, with the axle pushed in, it was much easier removing the 3 bolts that hold in the bearing assembly.

Did the job in the driveway with just a floor jack and common tools. It did take all 225 pounds of me leaning on the breaker bar to get the axle nut loose, though.

Wanted to add that noisy bearings (for my 4X4's anyway) always showed some play if you jacked up the wheel and wiggled it. I was told that this type of bearing should never have any play if it is healthy. I just did the procedure listed above, and it was not difficult. I did not need a puller to get the axle loose, I could push it in with my thumb after the nut was removed. Plus, with the axle pushed in, it was much easier removing the 3 bolts that hold in the bearing assembly.

Did the job in the driveway with just a floor jack and common tools. It did take all 225 pounds of me leaning on the breaker bar to get the axle nut loose, though.

I think i am going to test it first the do it this weekend

well i did both wheel hubs in about 3 hours it was the left one but i saw it was a breeze so i did both job cost me 300.00 total

thanks for help

Back