I've really tried.....P1074 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I've really tried.....P1074

DGreatest

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 eddie bauer
Hey guys.

I know this has been asked many times but I think I've looked through every thread and still don't have an answer. I drive a 1998 Eddie Bauer 4.0 SOHC with 125,000 miles. As luck would have it, my check engine light happened to come on exactly 3 weeks before I need to have it smogged out here in sunny California. The only code I'm getting is P1074. Apparently only bank 2 is running lean. I've scoured this site for tips, tricks, and info but have drawn a blank. Here's the play by play:

- Changed Air Filter
- Cleaned MAF
- Cleaned IAC
- Seafoam in gas tank
- Used propane to search for leaks....found none
- Great gas mileage (24-25 MPG on hwy, cruise control at 65)

The reason I didn't put Seafoam directly into the IAC is because I live in an apartment complex and am not allowed to work on my truck here. I thought the smoke would have been too much of a giveaway. But if someone feels it is truly the answer then let me know. I'll risk it. Otherwise what could be causing just bank 2 to run lean? I thought maybe the O2 sensor but a lot of threads on here say no. Is there a common place for a vacuum leak that I'm just missing? Why wouldn't a vacuum leak also show code P1071? Maybe the fuel filter...but then why is my gas mileage so good? Any sort of insight would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

P1074 P1071??? What are the exact codes you are getting? P0174 is system lean bank 2. P0171 is system lean bank 1. And a vacuum leak only on the bank 2 side would only throw a lean code for only that side. No, seafoam will not fix this issue

These are general issues that cause your condition.
Fuel system malfunction.
EGR system malfunction.
Air intake or vacuum system leak.
Engine oil level too high.
Incorrect cam timing.
Restricted air cleaner.
Faulty PCV system.
Excessive internal engine wear.

Sorry, it was late. The code is P0174. Thanks for the input.

You could be a qualified candidate for a 00M12 recall/tsb

Ok. I've decided to replace the intake gaskets. Hopefully that will work. For some reason I thought if I had a leak from the gaskets that both banks would show codes. We'll see what happens.

This Field Service Action expired on March 31, 2009

Damn.. Atleast the kits are still available.. I wish Ford would have designed the SOHC better.

check your gas cap too. If it is not on tight, it may throw those codes

That would throw an EVAP code.

It could be a weak/partially plugged fuel injector. You can use a either a mechanic stethoscope or a long screw driver to listen to see if there is one that sounds different.
I'm thinking its a vaccum though.

Back