Definity Dakota HT 235/70/R16 60k | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Definity Dakota HT 235/70/R16 60k

trucku

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Queens, New York and living in Budd Lake, NJ now.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS 4.0 4x4
I bought a set of Definity Dakota HT tires and wanted to give my review of them after my family road trip. Total mileage was just over 650miles.

I ran Dunlop Radial AT tires prior to these. These tires are much quieter than the Dunlops both on a dry or wet road.

I drove over three hours in heavy rain coming back from Cape Code on Saturday. Handling and traction was excellent. I95 South is pretty smooth for the first 3 hours on the way back and hit a lot of puddles that blended in with the road. Aside from the slight pull of hitting the water traction was excellent. It did not feel like the tire hydroplaned at all.

I drove most of the way in light traffic at around 60mph.

In the heavy rain accelerating from a stop was excellent. The traction was very good and I did not feel the front end kick in like I would with the Dunlops.

The tires were very reasonable in cost. $580 installed with road hazard warranty, new stems, lifetime rotation and balance. With the "buy 3 and get 1 free" rebate I will get back $104. I purchased them from PepBoys. These tires are made by Cooper for PepBoys. The Cooper brand cost $24 more with all the same specs

The HT stands for Heavy Terrain. AT is for All terrain. The HT is more of a highway tire than the AT.

So far I am very happy with my purchase. So if your looking for a set of reasonably priced tires for your xploder give them a look.

I did see a Mountaineer with the same set in Cape Cod. I took it as a good omen for my purchase...lol

9484498_definity-dakotaht.jpg

* 60,000 Mile Warranty
* UTQG 520AB (P Metric Only)
* Premium Tire
* Smooth Ride
* All-Season Tread
* S Speed Rated

I heard they were pretty decent tire for the money and was looking at them along with the cooper h/t and cooper cts.

We have Discount Tire here in Michigan and I managed to win $50 gift cert from them from another forum. So, I went with the CTS ($20 more than the HT plus better wet traction) from Discount Tire last week. Was $447 out the door with the discount/price match. Plus Cooper has $75 visa card rebate going on that i can send in for. At least you got road hazard warranty with your set. I usually dont get the road hazard, but seeing that i will have 1 teenager starting to drive soon (no telling what these new drivers will run over), will be using the rebate card to get it.

will let you guys know how these do. btw, consumer reports ranked them 4th in last novembers suv tire review...

Lookin at these tires to put on my Escape. How have they held up over the years for you?

Back