Completed Project - jamest's "RE-SAS" | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project jamest's "RE-SAS"

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
... or SAS pt.II, or SAS redeux, or axle remix thread. :p:

As some of you know, ive recently got a 94 sport that is the typical fullwidth HP44 with coils/arms, fullwidth 9" type swap. Its currently on radial 36" Iroks.

Right now im lowering it down 4" and extending the wheelbase a couple of inches. It wheels great but its just too tall for what i want to do. Ive got some Bilstein 7100's in the mail and my general idea is to make this more of a dual sport type rig that can get it on the rocks and also be able to blast some fire roads and play on the sandbars here in the summer.

Currently the truck has 4" blocks under the back and a "W" shaped set of hybrid 4 door packs. Im going to take the blocks out, throw on a freshened set of low mile 4door leaves with the overload removed, run anti-wrap pertches with the holes redrilled to move the rear back on the springs 2".

Pic below is why you DONT run shock boots. This was an Arizona rig and never really saw any mud after sureshot40sw bought it-

Attachments

• sas1.jpg
    sas1.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 4,789

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont think he had it uploaded yet. :p:

Im still tired... i think im going to sleep for the next couple of days. We all had an awesome time.

I kept blowing a master fuse on the very first obstacle sat. morning and it was killing the engine. After a few minutes we found part of the wiring harness rubing on the shock tower. :rolleyes:

Unrelated- on the trip home the tow rig would lose the clutch pedal after a couple of hours of driving. Im guessing the fluid was old and was boiling, because after letting it sit for 5 minutes or so the clutch would come back. Made for interesting stops trying to get fuel and use the bathroom.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Truck turned out great! But James you almost rolled it on the second video you big dope :)

Nah, not even close. :p: I was runnin' with the big dogs so most times i took the worse line... just to show them they wasted their money on 44's. :D I gotta admit im swollen with pride being able to keep up with them and at times make it in one try while a few of them had to hit some spots 3-4 times. I got a ton of compliments and quite a few shocked looks this weekend. That is, until i blew the front lol.

James T just doesn't do 12oz curls for exercise, he also does push ups occasionally...

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 989

That's kick ass James, but damn you were so close, I'm suprised you didn't stop by for some beerz! :(

Jeff - :navajo:

I would have liked to, but when we left there we left ready to go home. I think Phil cracked his heel and we were all half dead. I went home with the turbo glowing and blowing soot the whole way. ;) :D

Checked the X out yesterday afternoon... broke 2 front shafts and the locker pins. I guess i broke one side first and didnt notice it. :dunno:

Checked the X out yesterday afternoon... broke 2 front shafts and the locker pins. I guess i broke one side first and didnt notice it. :dunno:

Which shafts? Inners, outers?

Passenger outer, driver's inner.

I think this time im going to save up and go with some alloys/CTMs.

Passenger outer, driver's inner.

I think this time im going to save up and go with some alloys/CTMs.

What brand are you thinking of going with? I am looking at upgrading but havnt decided which brand to go with.

I havent really thought about it- the rig had alloy usa's in it for a while and they seem to have worked out great, but i think they went out of business.

Alloy USA is now Ten Factory, not sure on the warranty situation though if you ever break an Alloy USA shaft.

FWIW, i've been running Superior inners/outters with Longfield joints for about 4 yrs. now and i've been nothing but happy with them. Just plan on greasing your joints about every other run with either CTM's or Longfields.

Rear locker is toast. :(

Ive got one wheel drive. Which would explain why it was driving weird. Get on the throttle it darts to the right, lift out of the throttle it goes left.

I just pulled both rear shafts and they're good. Only driver's wheel will pull. In park on jackstands the passenger will freespin like its in neutral. Im broke as all hell so i think the rear is getting a full spool. I would love to be able to stick in a nodular 3rd but money is going to be super tight until end of summer when Brandy starts her new job.

5 trips to Hot Springs and not a single break- one trip to Krocks and i break EVERYTHING. I cant do anything at this point but laugh.

Looks great James.

Looks great James.
Thanks man. :thumbsup:

Few more pics of K-rocks... this is the spot i scattered the front end. First pic you can see us in the background, there is another crack over there we were trying to crawl.

Orange jeep on 44's went first and side- flopped, i went second and broke everything and had to be winched off of a VW sized rock i was turtled on. :p:

Attachments

• krocks3.jpg
    krocks3.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,213
  • krocks4.jpg
    krocks4.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 1,217

Not much to update, ups man came a while ago...

:D

Attachments

• sas40.jpg
    sas40.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 1,327

James, that stuff is sooo "strange". :thumbsup:

Nice bling!

Did you get new axle shafts/u-joints for the front yet?

Yea, i found a set of Superiors/CTM's used for pretty cheap. Just waiting on them to get here. :)

I picked up another 9" from the salvage yard, and plan to use that housing as my buildup. It will get shaved and trussed, the Strange 3rd/daytona pinion support and my current gears on the new spool. I hope the lockright carnage is just a broken pin and i can fix it. If so, itll be up for sale.

UPS man came again- im just about done buying stuff and ready to start working. ;)

FWIW- I basically stole this setup. NIB Superiors, NIB CTM's... three of 'em, so i can sell one on ebay and recoup some $$$... all for $600 shipped.

Attachments

• sas41.jpg
    sas41.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 1,434

Nice! I've got Superiors with Longfield joints and it's been bulletproof so far:cool:

Back