Boost on an Eaton SC | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Boost on an Eaton SC

Hi Guys,
Just wanted to know how much boost people are making with the explorer express SC kit on a 5.0 . The website claims 5-6 PSI. but I personally only made 4-5 psi when my explorer was a 5 liter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Nate what's the difference between MP2, MPIII and MPX. My blower was brand new from a kit that explorer express used to make I dont think it came out of a Thunderbird so I wouldn't know what year or what gen it is.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

it is an m90 right? or is it the m62?

if it is the m90 it should have been the 94-95 with teflon coated rotors, which gave about 20hp more then the 89-93 m90s. the mp2 is about the same as a 94-95 (also called S-port) maybe better by 20hp but the S-port gave a bit more torque.

The MPIII was better then both but had issues with random rotor failures, but when it worked, it worked awesome! and the MPX is just the best out there in the m90 category.

I currently have a supercoupe motor swapped into my 1997 mustang, did this because there was no way in hell I was going to be the fastest V8 wielding mustang owner so I decided to go something more unique. I'm trying to make the fastest stock head and stroke V6 mustang. with the MPX OD 15% and a front mount intercooler and with a cam, I'm hoping to almost make 400rwhp and be running the 11s bracket.

the heads on these cars suck too, another point why the V8 with the GT40s which flow around 190cfm, have such low PSI with the m90 (and the fact it's 2 more cylinders obviously).

If you were really looking to go balls to the wall with that V8, I'll bet my pet rock that a 15% OD MPX, 90mm TB (if possible), FMIC (if possible), a custom cam, would net you 300rwhp. as long as you have the TM headers.

it is an m90 right? or is it the m62?

if it is the m90 it should have been the 94-95 with teflon coated rotors, which gave about 20hp more then the 89-93 m90s. the mp2 is about the same as a 94-95 (also called S-port) maybe better by 20hp but the S-port gave a bit more torque.

The MPIII was better then both but had issues with random rotor failures, but when it worked, it worked awesome! and the MPX is just the best out there in the m90 category.

I currently have a supercoupe motor swapped into my 1997 mustang, did this because there was no way in hell I was going to be the fastest V8 wielding mustang owner so I decided to go something more unique. I'm trying to make the fastest stock head and stroke V6 mustang. with the MPX OD 15% and a front mount intercooler and with a cam, I'm hoping to almost make 400rwhp and be running the 11s bracket.

the heads on these cars suck too, another point why the V8 with the GT40s which flow around 190cfm, have such low PSI with the m90 (and the fact it's 2 more cylinders obviously).

If you were really looking to go balls to the wall with that V8, I'll bet my pet rock that a 15% OD MPX, 90mm TB (if possible), FMIC (if possible), a custom cam, would net you 300rwhp. as long as you have the TM headers.
300 rwhp, well that would suck, its making 295 rwhp with 3 psi right now.

wow, I thought you were making around 230rwhp. ok so it would make alot more then 300rwhp lol, especially being OD with a FMIC and a custom cam and MPX, I wish I could do that....

I wish you all well with those, those blowers are small.

I wanted to mention that the crank pulley isn't completely written in stone. I've had one balancer custom made for my 347 with a 28oz. balance weight. I wasn't thrilled with the trigger ring, being off from TDC. I've got a local machine shop working on that one and another I wanted them to make. I figured I'd find out what I could get done locally, it seems this would have been the cheaper way to begin with. I was told that "they" knew what to do, so I paid them $330 to make it(the first one).

Anyway, I don't have a price yet from my local shop, but it's made with one stock Explorer balancer(the trigger wheel), one new OEM balancer($80), and any 94/95 crank pulley that you like. I've got a 94/95 Cobra pulley, which is the same diameter as an Explorer. The regular Mustang crank pulley is a good inch larger than ours, and you can get any size made for a price.

Both of mine will be 28oz. balancers, but it can be done with a 50oz. for a stock type 302 etc. This had to be done with the OEM type with plenty of metal on the back side. There may be one or two aftermarket that can have this trigger wheel added. Now that I know how it's done, it would be easier next time. Regards,

yup I had to get the 28oz weight also with my stock balancer. the extra 1 inch would make a big difference, but i think if i keep spinning this little s/c to much there will be too much heat and make it inefficient, The MPX casing will not fit my setup due to the different inlet, I think i might just slap on the m112 with the aftermarket casing that magnumpowers makes for the lighting. I've got a fully built motor thirsty for lots of boost. I did everything possible cam, ported heads, headers, forged pistons, fuel system upgrade ect. and i hate seeing this thing make no power, my buddy has a new srt8 jeep with a vortech that would kill me anytime right now,

yup I had to get the 28oz weight also with my stock balancer. the extra 1 inch would make a big difference, but i think if i keep spinning this little s/c to much there will be too much heat and make it inefficient, The MPX casing will not fit my setup due to the different inlet, I think i might just slap on the m112 with the aftermarket casing that magnumpowers makes for the lighting. I've got a fully built motor thirsty for lots of boost. I did everything possible cam, ported heads, headers, forged pistons, fuel system upgrade ect. and i hate seeing this thing make no power, my buddy has a new srt8 jeep with a vortech that would kill me anytime right now,

Trying to make big power with a m90 is a losing battle. There is a guy here (Alex) making about as much power as you possibly can with one and was still stuck in the 14's. It was on a fully built 5.0 SOHC engine. While another guy (Rob) ran mid 13's with basically a stock 4.6 and a KB 2.2 at the same boost level (9lbs).

If you want serious power with a blower without going completely custom, you could retrofit a 5.0 KB kit like I believe Don is doing, or you could go the centrifugal blower route. You could use the Powerdyne brackets with an upgraded head unit.

I chose to go turbo because of these issues :)

Ditto, lots of ways to go, and fabrication required. Todd did the KB Mustang kit, but it required some altered parts, and his front belt bracket allowed some slippage. He was going to work on improvements and a 2.2 blower, but then the 351W idea came up. It got complicated after that.

I like the turbo idea the best, except for the air cleaner issue, I want it under the hood. Instead of fighting the pipes back and forth underneath etc, I'll try the KB mounted next to a custom intercooler intake. We'll see,

I see in your signature you are running 39 lbs cobra injectors. How did you get them to work with the explorer. I had to go 42 lbs because the 39 lbs woudlnt work. I think mrboostman had the same problem with the 39lbs.

I see in your signature you are running 39 lbs cobra injectors. How did you get them to work with the explorer. I had to go 42 lbs because the 39 lbs woudlnt work. I think mrboostman had the same problem with the 39lbs.

What do you mean they wouldnt work? The 39s are a direct drop in replacement- the 42's have a different connector and require adapter harnesses. The 42's work in older 5.0 Explorers.

Yea they wouldint work. Truck idled and ran horrible we spent 2 weeks with sct support trying to figure out what the issue was. After we got the 42's Truck ran good and we were able to tune the truck with the sct software.

Yea they wouldint work. Truck idled and ran horrible we spent 2 weeks with sct support trying to figure out what the issue was. After we got the 42's Truck ran good and we were able to tune the truck with the sct software.

I didnt have any issues with mine- I installed them and my MAF at the same time. I just put them in and loaded my tune and it ran. I then datalogged some step revving and sent the file to James. The next day I had a tune I could drive the truck with.

A week later it would do this :)

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Turbo-Explorer-7psi-060_140597.htm

Check it out guys its tiny its 2 inch pulley
Mrboostman you're the man, it made decent boost 8 lbs im sure that close to max tho
1252709674.jpg

I am glad you were able to make good boost with that 2 inch pulley. I am going back to B&D soon to retune with the 42LB injectors and a 2 inch pulley. How much power did you put down with that 2 inch pulley? I believe that trying to make power with an M90 is not a losing battle. I make 300whp with stock heads and cam then 400+ with heads and cam upgrade. That is a fair amount of power in my book. What length belt did you use with the 2 inch pulley? Let me know I need to get one. Thanks.

Trying to make big power with a m90 is a losing battle. There is a guy here (Alex) making about as much power as you possibly can with one and was still stuck in the 14's. It was on a fully built 5.0 SOHC engine. While another guy (Rob) ran mid 13's with basically a stock 4.6 and a KB 2.2 at the same boost level (9lbs).

If you want serious power with a blower without going completely custom, you could retrofit a 5.0 KB kit like I believe Don is doing, or you could go the centrifugal blower route. You could use the Powerdyne brackets with an upgraded head unit.

I chose to go turbo because of these issues :)

A 4.6 already runs mid 15s stock......your taking a 17s truck and then running 14s? that's great! when I did the m90 swap on my 98 3.8 mustang it went from 17.6 to 14.0....now I'm stepping it up a notch and using the full motor with a MPX, cam, FMIC...etc in the mustang. But making 400rwhp is awesome!!!! If I wasn't concerned about running boost in a heavy DD I would do more then just H/C/I but I'll be happy with 300rwhp...

How expensive is it to make the parts to make the m90 fit???? because H/C/I will cost around or over $2000 for 300rwhp or a bit less.......you guys are running 300rwhp with just a m90!!!!

I am glad you were able to make good boost with that 2 inch pulley. I am going back to B&D soon to retune with the 42LB injectors and a 2 inch pulley. How much power did you put down with that 2 inch pulley? I believe that trying to make power with an M90 is not a losing battle. I make 300whp with stock heads and cam then 400+ with heads and cam upgrade. That is a fair amount of power in my book. What length belt did you use with the 2 inch pulley? Let me know I need to get one. Thanks.

we used 114 inch belt, but we took off those crappy plastic idlers and put some nice bigger steel ones, they are a million times better plus they look better. We didn't dyno the truck just drove it datalog and made adjustments to the tune. My Explorer is All Wheel Drive, we take of the front driveshaft to get it on the rear wheel drive dyno, so im not sure how much power it looses thru the drivetrain because i do know that the link to the front shaft still spins, but i made 300 rwhp with 3-4 psi, i've got a fully built 347 with a cam and all the works (TM headers ect.), i think i should be in the 340's now with the extra boost, so I dont know how you would make 400+ on a smaller stock 302.

The M90 kit from EE was $3800, and is no longer made. That's a lot of money for a minor increase. If you are starting from scratch, go to a turbo or the front mounted super chargers. Those are the easiest route to go.

Have any of you guys ran your SC against any turbo'd explorers?
Just learning about superchargers but I know its pretty easy to make more than 8lbs of boost in a turbo. Wondering if 8lbs SC is proportional to 8lbs turbo?
Thanks

Have any of you guys ran your SC against any turbo'd explorers?
Just learning about superchargers but I know its pretty easy to make more than 8lbs of boost in a turbo. Wondering if 8lbs SC is proportional to 8lbs turbo?
Thanks
no never seen a turbo v8 explorer around my area, 8 lbs on a turbo would be better, it takes horsepower to make more horsepower on a supercharger, on a turbo its pretty much waste from the engine's exhaust, you're not using any horsepower to make more power, heres an example, my old setup with 4 psi, lets just say each psi takes 6 hp from the engine, if 4 psi increases 50 more hp, you would subtract the hp that it takes to run the sc (in this case 4*6=24 hp) so 50 hp gain minus 24hp used from sc, at the end you're really only making 26 rwhp out of the supercharger. As with the turbo you would get all the 50 hp. I chose supercharger because the kit was easy bolt on & it passes emission.

The turbo is always better compared to a supercharger, but they almost always cost way more.

Back