• Register Today It's free!

Alright guys, I need some help.

Swamp Fox

Reaction score
City, State
Pee Dee Region - SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT 4WD K-flex 4.0 V6
I have a '04 Explorer XLT. This weekend while vacationing my Ex was the recipient of hateful and undeserving abuse. When going anywhere I usually walk around my vehicle before going in public places. I came back and noticed someone had hit the back of the truck while we were in a store and cracked the body piece directly below the glass hatch that holds the emblem. I had no idea that it was plastic but I do now. Does anyone out there have a clue how much it would cost to replace this piece as a painted direct replacement. Any help is welcome. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hate to tell you but that is a common prob with these, one minute you go somwhere and come back its cracked.......

Most likely you will only get a primed service part from the dealership. They can paint it for you, you can paint it, or you can have a body shop do it. But due to the age of the vehicle it is most likely not a painted (body color) service part any longer. You should try a salvage for same color part. Of course it shouldn't cost much to have this part painted either. The part on there is ABS plastic and the prep for this type of plastic is different, but simpler than for a bumper which is usually TPO. Sorry bout your luck man, hit and run sucks.

DMC

You didn't get hit, fortunately ... Ford engineers just blew it, and these things crack (something about the adhesive, IIRC).

I want to say that the part's like 200 bucks or so?

my estimate was just over 300 bucks(granted im in ak and shipping kills!), and yeah the early gen 3s (maybe even lates?) have the back peice crack because of the over use of the glue, and such doesnt allow for hte panel to expand and contract with temperature. you wernt hit, this is a common problem with these trucks.

I have a '04 Explorer XLT. This weekend while vacationing my Ex was the recipient of hateful and undeserving abuse. When going anywhere I usually walk around my vehicle before going in public places. I came back and noticed someone had hit the back of the truck while we were in a store and cracked the body piece directly below the glass hatch that holds the emblem. I had no idea that it was plastic but I do now. Does anyone out there have a clue how much it would cost to replace this piece as a painted direct replacement. Any help is welcome. Thanks.

the part it self is 135.00 from the dealer if you are from a shop. Add 30% if not. You can probably get it painted for a 12 pack and 50 bucks. lol. To install it all you need is windshield glue(the black kind).

the part it self is 135.00 from the dealer if you are from a shop. Add 30% if not. You can probably get it painted for a 12 pack and 50 bucks. lol. To install it all you need is windshield glue(the black kind).

You don't need windshield clue (which is just "CA" - cyano-acrylic)...it already comes adhesive-backed...you just pull off the wax paper and stick it to the body. There are some threads about this somewhat common issue of cracking or warping plastic piece on this forum, and also some YouTube videos about how to replace it.

Also, the part is more than $135 from the dealer, repair shop or not ;)

You don't need windshield clue (which is just "CA" - cyano-acrylic)...it already comes adhesive-backed...you just pull off the wax paper and stick it to the body. There are some threads about this somewhat common issue of cracking or warping plastic piece on this forum, and also some YouTube videos about how to replace it.

Also, the part is more than $135 from the dealer, repair shop or not ;)

I bought alot of stuff when I repainted mine so I might be mistaken on the price. But as far as the wax paper part your talking about that is bull ****. I just installed mine thursday after they painted the truck and had to glue it on. The old one came off in about 30 small pieces due to the old glue being a ***** to get off. Look at the pics in my build.. http://www.layitlow.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=498777 ...The old glue is around the perimeter. There is not really a flat surface to use doulble sided tape on. Unless some years are different or mine was already replaced and glued back on thats how its done. The new piece was not adhesive backed and the part came from Freeway Ford in Houston. I will find my invoice and post the price for you though..Even if I'm wrong :D

Back