What axle to use for front end solid swap? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What axle to use for front end solid swap?

Khaos Rising

Reaction score
City, State
Idaho Falls, IDAHO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XL
I am wanting to buy a solid axle to put on the front end of my 91 explorer. I was just wondering what axle would be the easiest to just "bolt up". please help!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im not sure what the popular one is, but if i was going to do a SAS i'd probly grab a front setup from a jeep of some kind. i thinks its a Dana 35 axle which is what i think explorers are, a cherokee (not "grand") is about the same size as an Ex anyways. it might not be a D44HP or whatever but if your not a hardcore rock crawler with hundreds of horsepower it's probly good enough.

Search through the registry. A lot of people use Early Bronco D44s.

"Just bolt up" that made me laugh! Putting a solid axle on the front is pretty big project and you are going to have to fab or have parts fabricated to do it.

"Just bolt up" that made me laugh! Putting a solid axle on the front is pretty big project and you are going to have to fab or have parts fabricated to do it.

I agree, your not going to find any axle that will just bolt up. Your gonna have to weld perches and all sorts of things.

EB D44 is almost a "bolt on"...almost if you can find one spring for it. It is the same with, i think there is just an issue with the radius arms?...search around

like i said i put parenthesis around the bolt up because i realize there is going to be work involved, i was just wondering which axle would take the least fabrication. the front ends on these explorers are just crap.

What's wrong with your front end? The Dana 35 is a stout front end.

it doesnt suck but that split axle just isn't going to cut it if i ever plan on doing any real climbing.

Alright you know what just scratch that. im tryin to make my life a little easier and axle swap isn't easy. Does anybody know of anywhere to pick up the lift for the front end axle pivot brackets, extended coils, front and rear shocks, all used>? well maybe not shocks used but the other parts?

i have a 4 inch front lift (springs, radius arm drop brakets and axle beam pivot brakets) and a surerlift soa kit for the rear. the superlift kit relocates the shock mounts so you can use your stock shocks. soa gives 5.5 inches of lift so i used a 1.5 inch spacer under front springs to level it out. went to a different setup so no use for this lift anymore but worked and flexed great. the dana 35 in the front of your ex isnt as good as a solid axle but i run 35's and am pretty rough on it and it holds up for the most part im locked front and rear and try to take it anywhere my buddys rock rigs go. lots of deep mud and rock crawling at least once a week and the only thing i break is a front passenger side axle once in awhile. it breaks the u joint cap and then snaps an ear off the axle but if i wasnt so heavy footed and didnt wheel it quite as much or as hard as i do or even with a 33 inch tire it probally wouldnt ever break. im looking for $325 for the complete lift. i also have a brand new in the box lock rite locker for the rear of your truck never installed. i paid $340 for it but ill take $290 for it. or $500 for everything. you pay for shipping. not that heavy so probally like $35

im not sure what the popular one is, but if i was going to do a SAS i'd probly grab a front setup from a jeep of some kind. i thinks its a Dana 35 axle which is what i think explorers are, a cherokee (not "grand") is about the same size as an Ex anyways. it might not be a D44HP or whatever but if your not a hardcore rock crawler with hundreds of horsepower it's probly good enough.

Let me clarify something. A Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and Wrangler all use a mostly identical D30s. While I am swapping one into my 4 banger Ranger, I wouldn't use one under an Explorer. Reason being, the Ex is at LEAST 800 pounds heavier than the Grand Cherokee.

Plenty of folks wheel the crap out of the TTB D35s. I just choose not to be one of them.

i am very interested and was thinking more around the $250 range? But I have a lot going on right now and would take me just a little bit to get the money up, so is there anyway you could send some pictures to my email? I am also just wondering how long would you be able to hold on to these pieces?

And i think 800 might be slight over exxageration, and if the other axle is lighter and stronger, where am i running into a problem?

i am very interested and was thinking more around the $250 range? But I have a lot going on right now and would take me just a little bit to get the money up, so is there anyway you could send some pictures to my email? I am also just wondering how long would you be able to hold on to these pieces?

Add another $700 to that at minimum for cost. Figure a axle will run you atleast $150 or so, then you need to regear, modify the tranny mount/radius arm mount, new driveshaft, etc..

Add another $700 to that at minimum for cost. Figure a axle will run you atleast $150 or so, then you need to regear, modify the tranny mount/radius arm mount, new driveshaft, etc..
plus possible axel seals, brake lines, brake parts, steering parts, and new rims because of a different bolt pattern-- (disk brake mod?)

when i said $250 i meant just for the lift i dont need the lockrite.

use HP Dana 44 from F-150 narrowed 6in, best bang for your buck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Khaos...

Just look in the for sale section here, therangerstation.com, dezertrangers.com and race-dezert.com to find a used lift for it. If you don't want at least a lockrite, you won't need to worry about the strength of your axle (which the stock d35 will do just fine).

Good luck. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Depending on what size tires you want is how big of a lift you'll need. If you're going bigger than 33 you're going to want to regear which will cost a **** load more than $250...

Back