Thinking of an Supercharger or Turbo setup what do you think? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thinking of an Supercharger or Turbo setup what do you think?

tom_mcmullen006

Reaction score
City, State
Yelm Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT 4x4
I have been looking on craigslist and have found wrecked super coupes and turbo coupes ( thunderbirds for those who do not know) And I was wondering if these setups would work with out 4.0 motors. I have been curious. Has anyone done this or believe this could work? Send me a message. thanks!:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You would be better off just getting a v8 or a different car, don't bother supercharging a 150hp engine. There just simply exist engines that naturally produce more horsepower w/o a turbo then this engine with a turbo.

Even ford's current 3.0l v6 produces 230hp by itself....

You would be better off just getting a v8 or a different car, don't bother supercharging a 150hp engine. There just simply exist engines that naturally produce more horsepower w/o a turbo then this engine with a turbo.

Even ford's current 3.0l v6 produces 230hp by itself....

I know. but I have seen a few supercharged 4.0's in first gen explorers. I was just wondering if it would work because its something I would like to do. I havent seen them in my area. only on cardomain.com and it got me to thinking.:salute:

On rangerpowersports or therangerstation there is a complete BBK supercharger kit, NEW in box for $1,000. When they were new, they were $1400. They have been discontinued for about 6 or 7 years now.

Ryan

I have been looking on craigslist and have found wrecked super coupes and turbo coupes ( thunderbirds for those who do not know) And I was wondering if these setups would work with out 4.0 motors. I have been curious. Has anyone done this or believe this could work? Send me a message. thanks!:salute:

I've actually been working on a turbo setup for a '91 with a 4.0 and auto. kind of have a build thread of sorts going on (link below)

keep in mind though, that this build is an experiment, i would not do this on a daily driver explorer etc (note i'm not doing it on my DD explorer, this one will be used for offroad mostly) and i also realize that i am very likely going to blow head gaskets and possibly crack a head doing this as well.

once i work out some of the bugs and am confident it's going to work well, i'm going to have the trans rebuilt, and i'm going to rebuild the engine with later model pistons for lower compression. (along with better head bolts, head gaskets, possibly the better head castings that don't crack, maybe a different cam etc.

anyhow here's the thread.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2292112#post2292112

I found a super coupe parts car with all the parts i need for cheap. It was totalled, the motor didnt blow. I was thinking this would be a perfect vehicle to get the Super charger set up from. ive also found a turbo coupe but I would prefer the supercharged:salute:

I've actually been working on a turbo setup for a '91 with a 4.0 and auto. kind of have a build thread of sorts going on (link below)

keep in mind though, that this build is an experiment, i would not do this on a daily driver explorer etc (note i'm not doing it on my DD explorer, this one will be used for offroad mostly) and i also realize that i am very likely going to blow head gaskets and possibly crack a head doing this as well.

once i work out some of the bugs and am confident it's going to work well, i'm going to have the trans rebuilt, and i'm going to rebuild the engine with later model pistons for lower compression. (along with better head bolts, head gaskets, possibly the better head castings that don't crack, maybe a different cam etc.

anyhow here's the thread.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2292112#post2292112

Dont the later model (95tm-97tm) heads raise the compression? I know the combustion chamber is different

Dont the later model (95tm-97tm) heads raise the compression? I know the combustion chamber is different

Yes, the later models of the heads raise compression. so i would use the old model head (90/93tm or whatever). i would just use one of the new castings of that model head. there were two different castings, one was more prone to cracking than the other. but the combustion chamber/head model is the same.

i would use later model pistons with the 90tm heads in order to lower the compression.

supercharger

hey man explorerexpress.com sells a complete kit w/ supercharger and programer to make it work in the truck but it does cost a pretty penny about 4g's but thats somthing to look at

No one is answering MY question

I want to know if the supercharger set up on a super coupe thunderbird will work on my 4.0 i know the SC motor is a 3.8 I found a setup for like 2 hundred bucks but I dont want to get the money up to get it if the setup wont work.:mad:

I want to know if the supercharger set up on a super coupe thunderbird will work on my 4.0 i know the SC motor is a 3.8 I found a setup for like 2 hundred bucks but I dont want to get the money up to get it if the setup wont work.:mad:

Well that question really doesn't have an easy answer. if you're asking if it'll be a bolt on swap, then no, not possible.

if you're asking if it's humanly possible to custom build a lower intake plenum to make the super coupe's SC (what is it like an m-90?) bolt to the 4.0, calculate and select a proper sized pulley to get the desired amount of boost, tune the engine to accept it and work, then yes it's possible.

No its not a direct bolt on you will need to fabricate an adapter. I remeber reading a few threads on it a long time ago. Do a search for something like 3.8 supercharger and you should be able to find a couple of threads..

Back