• Register Today It's free!

4.0L OHV Cylinder Heads questions

96explorerxlt4.0

Reaction score
City, State
Fenton, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT 4.0L OHV
I have a 96 explorer 4.0L OHV engine with cracked heads. I am fixing it myself and was wondering if a 1994 explorer 4.0L OHV cylinder heads are capable of working on my 96.

Also, the 94 4.0L jumped the timing chain or broke it and i was wondering if it is an interference engine or not to make sure the heads werent damaged.

I searched some, probably not enough, but came up with no answers. if you all could help me out that would be great.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks for the information. i saw, when i searched for new cylinder heads, that there were two different combustion chambers but the guys at autozone couldnt tell me why there were 2 different. they actually told me 1 was for the left and 1 was for the right. lol

For more confusion.. I know there there are 3 types..

90tm (1990-1992), 93tm (1993-1995) and 95tm (1995-???)..

the 90tm and 93tm have the same compression, but the 93tm is suposivly stronger..

~Mark

the 90tm and 93tm have the same compression, but the 93tm is suposivly stronger..

~Mark
haha well really there is 5 types the 90tm,93tm,95tm,97tm,and a 98tm the 90tm and the 93tm are the same (haveing a larger combustion) and the 95tm,97tm to 98tm alll have the same combustion but the 98 have smaller exhaust ports and are called fast burn.people try and tell you that 95 through 98tm are all the same its not true the 95tm flow way better stock and are the heads you want(in stock form) o and they did all this to speed up the velocity of the exhaust gasses so the cats work better,emission crap
Posted via Mobile Device

~Mark

haha well really there is 5 types the 90tm,93tm,95tm,97tm,and a 98tm the 90tm and the 93tm are the same (haveing a larger combustion) and the 95tm,97tm to 98tm alll have the same combustion but the 97 and 98 have smaller exhaust ports and are called fast burn.people try and tell you that 95 through 98tm are all the same its not true the 95tm flow way better stock and are the heads you want(in stock form) o and they did all this to speed up the velocity of the exhaust gasses so the cats work better,emission crap
Posted via Mobile Device

so, if i am searching for used heads, my best option is to find some off a 95/96 explorer.

i noticed the 93tm and 95tm both run through 95, is there a vin code i should look for to tell the difference?

thanks for the information

I don't know of a vin code difference, but I know it actually says 90TM, 93TM, 95TM etc right on the head.. So if your looking at one you can tell..

You can also tell the diff between the 90/93TM and 95tm by looking at the valve side..

This page has lots of good info.. and some pics that will help.

Dead Link Removed

~Mark

I wouldnt waist your time looking for a used set of 4.0 heads....thats a BIG gamble at best.

I just replaced the heads on my 99 Ranger and when calling around all of the local shops they wouldnt even sell me a set "rebuilt" 4.0 heads because they are all stock Ford heads that just havent cracked YET.

I bought a brand new pair from Alabama Cylinderhead for 350.00 bare shipped to my door in 2 days. I had them ported,guides opened a hair,spring pockets opened up for Comp springs and swapped my old valves with a 5 angle grind on them for another 250.00

only problem with Alabama Cylinderhead is that there 95tm/98tm heads are really 98tm and have a fast burn exhaust port,great for what you did p+p but bad for stock replacement of 95tm.only people that ive found that have true 95tm heads are engine quest(link above) but i agree a 100% if your going to spend the money dont buy used or rebuilt!!!

yea thanks guys for all that. i understand that used/rebuilt gamble, problem is I don't have the money to spend on new heads and I also plan on selling it once its up and running again.

yea thanks guys for all that. i understand that used/rebuilt gamble, problem is I don't have the money to spend on new heads and I also plan on selling it once its up and running again.

o well if your getting ride of it throw those first gen heads on there they will work fine just lower you compression to 8:1 = less power

If you get used heads I would put it up for sale seconds after it fires up again and dont let anyone drive it til you have cash in hand!!;)

If you get used heads I would put it up for sale seconds after it fires up again and dont let anyone drive it til you have cash in hand!!;)

x2 :thumbsup:

So then it would be a bad idea to replace just one 95TM with a 98TM head correct?

yes the ex ports are different
Posted via Mobile Device

Alright thanks alot. I dont understand why the companies keep saying that they are the same. I've called around to a couple different places and I explain to them about the 98TM vs the 95TM and they are like theres no difference. I'm going to have to go with engine quest though it seems.

o there is a difference,i went through the same thing everyone i called was like yea there 95/98tm heads,how are they 95/98tm heads those are too different and people told me many of times thats just the years they fit,well not really 95 only fit 95 and 96 in stock form!!EQ is a good company even though i had some problems with a head from them but they took care of it and was very helpful.if i was you i would go ahead and replace both because that other one will be cracking sometime soon to and i take it you all ready have it off.

Ah I knew it. I almost just went ahead on and put the 98TM head on there. But no I dont have it off just yet, planning to do that monday. However I did place an order with EQ earlier today with next day air shipping and he was very very helpful.

I've been looking for a thread like this.
I have two cracked head and need a replacement, but very few people sell the larger exhaust port heads.
Engine Quest does though and they have an excellent explanation of each style of head.
HeadInfo.jpg

Here's the link for prices and such.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been looking for a thread like this.
I have two cracked head and need a replacement, but very few people sell the larger exhaust port heads.
Engine Quest does though and they have an excellent explanation of each style of head.
HeadInfo.jpg

Here the link for prices and such.

Did you not see all my post?these are who i suggest and run.many on here have used them and have no complaints. They are a VERY good company.

Back