• Register Today It's free!

In search of height

Khaos Rising

Reaction score
City, State
Idaho Falls, IDAHO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XL
I put a 3 inch body on my 91 explorer a bit back and snugged some 33X12.50 under. it looks alright and without much rub but if i turn all the way either direction and hit even the slightest bump, it rubs BAD! I'm obsessed with making a huge vehicle. I am looking for a used front end suspension axle pivot brackets, coils, radius arm drop brackets, and any other extensions possibly necessary for the front end. I will deal with the shocks when it comes to it, but i dont want to have to spend 700 to 1600 dollars on a lift. I am just wondering, where should i go to find a used one? And will any of the ranger lifts fit my sploder>? please hellp.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

look at rough country.com lifts are very inexpensive

you can use a lift from any 83-97 ranger, 93-90 broncoII, and 91-94 Explorer. In my experience you dont want to throw on busted parts or piece together a lift. It would be better/easier in the long run if you just bought a complete lift. Since you are doing a SOA in the back you can get away w/out buying lift springs although I reccomend new springs to allow for more flex and level ride height. Roughcountry seems to have the best prics on the Explorer TTB lift, along with Tuffcountry.

yes i plan on doing the SOA, but i am just not in a position to be saving up the money, i would be better off spending 200 here for the drop brackets, 200 here for the coils, and all that other fun stuff. I probably won't be able to put it on until after winter anyways so i might as well just gather all the parts. Even know they are all seperate parts i do plan on buying them all the same brand. For one which company would be cheapest, and for two what else is required for the front to get it finished besides the coils, axle pivots, and radius arm drops? Well, and of course shocks all around.

So i just ran it through tough country and after shipping i am looking at 839.30 for the complete kit and shocks all around. I will admit that is cheaper than expected. But the only problem i see is that it is a 4 inch lift. I want my explorer to be huge, it will soon be my toy not my daily driver, i want 6 inches, to get that much heighth would i be better off buying pieces, or once again getting the kit.

just buy everything seperate. new perches for the SOA are cheap, hell you could even throw in a 1 or 2 inch block if you really wanted. shackles and an AAL and you'll have 7-9 inches of suspension lift to go with your 3" BL. Find some coils for the front and you're in business on the cheap, maybe half what the kit costs with more clearance. If ride height and cost were my only two concerns, that's what I would do.

Height not heighth.

If you can't do it until after winter anyway, take your $200 here and $200 there and put it into your bank. At the end of winter order a kit from a single company that has everything you need included and designed to work together.

If you can't discipline yourself to be patient enough to save the money and wait to do this right, you're never going to get it where you want it and you'll always be that guy talking about what he wants to do instead of what he is doing. Be patient. Save up. In the meanwhile, search, research, repeat. That way you'll know exactly where you want to go for your kit.

You cant throw coils on the front w/out dropping the axle pivots. The roughcountry drop brackets are for 4" of lift only. The only company that makes drop brackets to accomodate 5-6" of lift is skyjacker and superlift, I think? Lifting a TTB is all about geometry and having parts that work with eachother.

How big do you want your Explorer to be? What size tires are you wanting to run? What is your factory gear ratio? What are you going to be using the truck for? A rig is purpose built, should be anyways. The best way to figure out your budget is to first figure out what youre doing with the truck.

Look through build threads, elite registries, and in the suspension subforum if you need examples of what you can do with these trucks and what works.

I forgot to mention.. even with a 4" lift the steering leaves something to be desired. With the Skyjacker and Superlift kits, which I think both have a 5.5 or 6" kit, upgraded steering is an option. The skyjacker 5.5 also comes with longer radius arms which really help when it comes to articulation and flexing. These vehicles are already topheavy to begin with, adding a huge lift will only add to it.

A capable vehicle doesnt have to be a huge vehicle.

FourOSport's last line is extremely important to keep in mind. I only have 2" lift, but I'm on 34s and I'm in talks to secure some 4.56-geared and locked axles. My Explorer surprised everyone with its capability on the one ride I've caught so far and I intend to keep getting that response.

Either way, good luck. I just think you need to slow down and think it through a bit more.

FourOSport's last line is extremely important to keep in mind. I only have 2" lift, but I'm on 34s and I'm in talks to secure some 4.56-geared and locked axles. My Explorer surprised everyone with its capability on the one ride I've caught so far and I intend to keep getting that response.

Either way, good luck. I just think you need to slow down and think it through a bit more.

I believe a member has 4.56 front and rear, complete with lockers for sale in the parts for sale thread.

Also James Duff has a 5.5" lift kit but you have to call them ;)

I hear they don't update their website very often because this lift was used by a member here back in 2002 I believe and they still have yet to list it :(

when i said in search of height i wasn't kidding, and yes i do need to be more patient. Yes the explorers are extremely top heavy but after winter i do plan on doing alot of chopping including losing the doors, chopping the back window and hatch set up out, swapping for fenders for plastic, which is alot of weight reduction to accomodate for the height. I am addicted to height, last year i assisted in putting 2 feet of lift and 44's on my moms hearse. And i used to drive a lifted 70's camaro, im only 16 of course im impatient. But if someone could specifically find me a link with price and absolutely EVERYTHING i will need to do the front end and push anywhere from 6-9 inches that would be great, i can figure out the SOA set up myself.

Check out Skyjacker.com and Superlift.com (I'd push for Superlift- it's not far from my house!) and see what you can find. A 5.5" is probably the tallest kit you'll find. Also e-mail James Duff- if I wasn't building toward a SAS I'd get his radius arms. Very high quality stuff.

So i just ran it through tough country and after shipping i am looking at 839.30 for the complete kit and shocks all around. I will admit that is cheaper than expected. But the only problem i see is that it is a 4 inch lift. I want my explorer to be huge, it will soon be my toy not my daily driver, i want 6 inches, to get that much heighth would i be better off buying pieces, or once again getting the kit.

roughcountry is around 500 and that is every thing you need for the front and shocks all the way around you just need to buy new perches for the rear axle for the soa or cut and put your old ones up top

Back