• Register Today It's free!

Doubler Help 1350/1354

Feonix1123

Reaction score
City, State
Binghamton, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Sport 2D 5-Speed
93 exploder sport haveing problems with this 1350/1354 dubbler im not sure whats going on here. I bought it used the guy i got it from made it then he sold it to another guy that was going to use it but never did so i bought it from him.

It does work when in gear it does work great going up hill. 1st 2nd and 3rd and 4th works Great. Will even go up backwards in low low. It pops out of low range and into N going down steep hills or just hills. I replaced transfer case with other used and does same thing. I thought it was the chain streched but i guess thats okay too. I have a thread here posted as well of what i have done and i do have pics too as well. i could use all the help thanks

Thread http://www.rrorc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39324

Dennis

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know auto's in general are notorious for slipping into N on steep climbs and I used to have this problem until I overfilled the tranny with about a quart more than stock level.
I know you have a manual but maybe you are having the same problem. Couldn't hurt to try it and you'll only be out a quart of ATF.

If the doubler is popping out it could be your shifter. There is an adjustment on most of them and the procedure is in my Chiltons book. I read on anther thread on another site that your Doubler shifter will not go into 2WDH. Seems to me the shifter may cause your problem.

I know auto's in general are notorious for slipping into N on steep climbs and I used to have this problem until I overfilled the tranny with about a quart more than stock level.
I know you have a manual but maybe you are having the same problem. Couldn't hurt to try it and you'll only be out a quart of ATF.

Thats something NEW i have never heard of that but will try. But never did with with stock case when i had just the 1 case in...

If the doubler is popping out it could be your shifter. There is an adjustment on most of them and the procedure is in my Chiltons book. I read on anther thread on another site that your Doubler shifter will not go into 2WDH. Seems to me the shifter may cause your problem.

Well i even have taken off shiftter and just left the level on and no shifter from top and still does it. No matter what i do it jumps into N when going down hill. If u look at my other post/build i have vids of it showing you that it pops.

Im not sure i have taken it all apart today and i dont see nothing at all with dubbler inside case.

I read on anther thread on another site that your Doubler shifter will not go into 2WDH. Seems to me the shifter may cause your problem.

Thats because of my Tranny is in the way but it does shift from Low to N and 4 HI but thats it no 2wd being im noy going to need it anyway.

As others and I have tried to explain, it is important to have the proper shifter to insure that the t-case is properly shifted. The gates or notches in the top plate are designed to hold the shifter and shift lever in the proper location. So all the parts must be matched to the transmission adapter. If not the shifter can be held in the wrong possition by the notched top plate. That in turn can hold the shift lever partially out of gear and cause problems.

When did it start doing this? Was it after you installed the 8? BII shifter? If so I would look hard at the shifter. You may now have other problems that need to be corrected. Sorry I can not help with that. All I can do is provide pics of the proper shifter with measurements and pics of others not intended for your X.

If you will send me an e-mail it will be much easier for me to explain as I can attach pics.

When did it start doing this? Was it after you installed the 8? BII shifter? If so I would look hard at the shifter. You may now have other problems that need to be corrected. Sorry I can not help with that. All I can do is provide pics of the proper shifter with measurements and pics of others not intended for your X.

If you will send me an e-mail it will be much easier for me to explain as I can attach pics.

Thanks

The popping out of gear started the 1st day i put the dubbler in the truck to test her out even with out a shifter. But it was weird that day it was fine going around the house and up the hill and just daily driving in my yrd to test. Went up my hill great started to come down got part way half way not sure but it jerked then made a noise so i put my clutch in and just coast down the rest of hill. Was fine after that went told some people they told me it might be a chain streched in my main case. So i went and got another one for it spent 1 whole day with it and then tested her again. fine around the house and up the hill with shifter off this time she completey jumps into N. The 1st case never did that but again i did not re try it again after tht 1st jerk.

I opend the case the other day and reviewed all the main parts the dubbler does not look to be any problems to make it kick back out. I have pics here http://feonix1123.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album48

Some vids of me testing her on hill http://feonix1123.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album47

My only question is why would the Dubbler work great all the time on flat and up hill and even going backwords up hill but going down is another problem. its weird.

Thanks i could use all the info that i can also my e-mail is Feonix1123@aol.com

Thanks peolpe

Dennis

Seems to me that gears are cut and can be directional. When power is applied one direction they can be drawn closer or in. When power is applied the other direction they can be pushed away. As I said I cannot help you with that. But it sure sounds to me like when you use the doubler to hold going down hill something inside is moving more than it should. Don't know what it is or what caused it. Seems from what I read you are the thrid owner and don't know what all was done to this so noone really knows w where to start looking.

My son tells me not to use RTV to seal anything thing that uses ATF. There is a product called "The Right Stuff" that we use. Just make sure surfaces are clean and dry. I use brake parts cleaner but becarefull to keep it away from non metal stuff. If plastic, painted, ect.... is in the area spray it on a rag or seperate from parts that can be damaged..

I'll email you the shifter pics to explain that as much as I can.

Good luck.

Seems to me that gears are cut and can be directional. When power is applied one direction they can be drawn closer or in. When power is applied the other direction they can be pushed away. As I said I cannot help you with that. But it sure sounds to me like when you use the doubler to hold going down hill something inside is moving more than it should. Don't know what it is or what caused it. Seems from what I read you are the thrid owner and don't know what all was done to this so noone really knows w where to start looking.

yeah well 1 person that made it and put it to work 2nd person to bought it never used it. And me i put it to use i dont know what it could be

Being its a 1350 t case can i use any other parts from my spear stock 1354? again i do not know alot on this t cases and dubblers. Im learning the gear deal. trying

thanks for the input though

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

This sounds like a possible issue from the two cases not being aligned properly (intermediate shaft may be crooked).

Was a kit used to assemble the doubler? Or is it a fully homemade unit?

This sounds like a possible issue from the two cases not being aligned properly (intermediate shaft may be crooked).

Was a kit used to assemble the doubler? Or is it a fully homemade unit?

I think your right its homemade case most of it is stock but the shaft had to be made diffrent cause had to be fitted for both cases.

me and a bud of mine went through the case lastnight and we did seem that while the homemade part/top was on it was not engaugeing right. Then when we moved the case up a lil to take off. She Sliped a lil more with Shifter so we went through all the parts and found that most where wore and shaft was a lil wobbely so thats not good asd well. So i have to order a hand full of parts to make her tight. we'll see I'll keep you all posted

Thanks Dennis

Back