How To: Pull Trouble Codes on a 1st Gen Explorer (paperclip method) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Pull Trouble Codes on a 1st Gen Explorer (paperclip method)

Surprisingly, KOEO, CM, and KOER were all clear. It's honestly a slight disappointment- I was hoping the awkward start-up idle would be a funky sensor and the tests would reveal it. Either way, at least I know everything was done properly during the transmission conversion!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea I tried to pull codes last week and everything was clear.
I was like wtf!? lol
Made for a good day though. Means I'm doing something right!

Pony that usually means a leak in the vacuum diaphragm of the Brake Booster, that big gigantic round thing behind your Brake Master Cylinder, mounted to the firewall. And most likely a ***** to replace. I think you have to replace the whole booster assembly as they are not usually repairable.

Just for the sake of adding info to the thread, here is a pic of where the OBD ports are on the '95 OHV... (At least on mine. I think the connector was originally the other way around so I think mine is upside-down, but I use them a lot, so I like them this way... :)

IMG_0939b.jpg

Here is me pulling my codes with my jumper wire... :D

IMG_0940.jpg

Sorry to jump off topic but it that orange juice? ;)

I've done this once on my ex and bet it will not be the last time. Just have to count the flashes :)

Nope, it's Mango Splash! :D

See here: CLICK ME

I was wondering how long it was going to take someone to spot that... lol!

Hey- it's cheaper than motor oil, and Snowball seems to like it. Runs like crap on the Passion Fruit stuff, but the Mango Splash makes for smooooooth road trips. ;)

In the interest of adding to a really good thread, I made this last night...
Read on! :thumbsup:

I try... :)

Thanks Joe I think I will have to try the Mango Passion fruit trick and is that Simon in Garfunkle you have playing in you garage video? I might have to try that also as my truck is running like crap and I never thought that a simple breakfast juice and some soft music would make my truck happy again.

Joe, how the hell do you get it to embed like that??? I've tired, and even searched for how, but I can't get it to embed...?

Oh, and I added the video (a link just for now) at the bottom of my post! Thanks for the effort!

NO prob! That was all NEDM music from ytmnd.com- great fun. The first clips were just accapella versions of the last song. :)

If you copy the youtube url, when posting you can click the youtube icon on the post window and put the url inside to embed...

DOH!!!! Wasn't in advanced edit mode.....>< The youtube thingie is not there in just the normal edit mode.... I knew something was missing!!!

Anyway, your embed in post #1 now!!! :thumbsup:

Great Job! I'll have to LISTEN to it once I'm home and not at work...but it LOOKED good! LOL

I think I'm doing this right and I'm getting stored code 414. I cannot find that code number anywhere, does anybody know what that code means

Can I assume this is on your '91? Your '91 should be outputting 2 digit codes. With that in mind, I would guess that you are seeing a CM 41, and just missing the final '1' when it repeats.

I pulled my codes this weekend and got a memory code of 124. Does anybody know what caused it or how to begin repairing.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As weird as it may be, I haven't logged into the board in many months (having no garage I don't work on the truck in the winter! LOL) But when I do, here is a post posted just today!!

Anyway, looks like you have a Throttle Position sensor reading high voltage. These are somewhat prone to problems, you can try working on it, getting a salvage unit, or getting a new sensor. Your time/cash situation will dictate what course is best for you. Search for TP sensor or Throttle Position sensor on here, you'll fine a wealth of info. From how to test it, to replacing it. These trucks are old enough now, pretty much there are no new issues, just new people having the same ol' issues!! LOL

Back