Transmission hesitation

Charlie

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited
Quick question, just to see if anybody might have an idea on what the problem is here..it's not my explorer, but my 87 F-150. Since it is a general transmission trouble problem and nothing specific to models, I figured this would be a better place to put this rather than the other makes and models sub-forum.

What it does, is when the truck is stopped in drive, and I start to give it gas, it seems to not always catch good like it should, and bogs down the motor a little bit, like letting out the clutch too quick on a manual car. It doesn't always do this, but occasionally. Accelerating really slowly until it catches stops it from having any troubles, but I still feel like there is something that isn't quite right.

Also, sometimes when going into gear it also bogs down a little bit.

Once it is in gear and driving, the transmission runs and shifts fine. It sits in gear fine, no problems there, ect. I also know it isn't the engine that has trouble when given gas, because if it is revved slowly or quickly in park or neutral it never has any issues. It is definitely something with the transmission.

Any ideas of anything I could do/adjust easily? It's not a big deal, and doesn't affect the driveability much, it's just when I accelerate "too quick" it doesn't catch right, and then "drops the clutch" so to speak.

I'm thinking its a torque converter problem...something at low speeds with it isn't quite right.

Thanks-

Fluid is good, nice and bright red, and the level is fine.

I'm thinking it is just something with the torque converter, not sure if there is anything I could adjust to make it better/anything I could add in the fluid to help it.

Like I say, other than this, the transmission seems to be in great shape other than when it does this occasionally.

Back