• Register Today It's free!

Knocking when hitting bumps

dbugzapper

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Sport 4.0 V6 5spd
Hey all, I just replaced the shocks with a nice new set of Rancho RS5000's the other night on my 92' Sport. I did so not only because the previous owners did very litttle upkeep on this fine machine, and the ride was pretty hairy on the local roads to say the least. Not only that- there's a knocking noise every time I hit a bump, even now after I have replaced the shocks. Is it the control arm? The Ball Joints? Anyone have this happen to them with their explorer? The ride is still a little rough because of whatever the noise is, the shocks helped with stopping and going and our on the highway, and even on the rutted muddy dirt road I drive on a daily basis at work. But that knocking noise makes me feel like the front end is gonna just give out one of these days. Not a good feeling. Also when they installed the shocks, I think I lost an inch of clearance, is this possible with the Ranchos?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check your radius arm bushings.

new RA bushings fixed mine

Do a search on Radius Arm Bushings. Common problem on the Gen I explorers.

That's kinda where it sounds like the noise is coming from. Wondering if it's worth the hassle for me to fix in my driveway, or if I should just take it to my trusty mechanic with the nice heated shop and all the tools he needs to do the job?

Thinking about replacing them with an upgrade in replacement parts- the urethene bushings. Looks like something I don't have the time or patience to deal with, my favorite mechanic can do the job, it'll save me some busted knuckles, lol:).

I just bought a 1991 Sport for winter driving and I also have the knocking when hitting bumps in the road. I was going to replace the shocks anyway, but now I know to get the bushings too. Thanks!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ENS-4-7110R/

Back