• Register Today It's free!

code 186

Robrt32

Reaction score
City, State
Sledge Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer XLT
I got this code "thanks to Doonze} a 186, Where do I start , Cleaning the MAF? Its been about a year since I cleaned it, Also my air filter box isn't quite right. Some of the tabs are broken that hold it tight.. I got it zip tied down and THINK its sealed.. I got another box. I just gotta take time and put it in.. If its not sealed, Could that cause the code?.. I will be adding to this thread as time goes by... I'm gonna do the engine running test soon and will PROBABLY have more codes..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

haynes book says

186 = injector pulse width higher than expected

also just for fun clean your MAF, and IAC and other stuffs

I finally got around to cleaning the MAF, last week.. I been busy as a cat covering up ...............never mind... anyhow It fixed my CEL and get this. My TC now locks up perfectly!! Is this a Co-Inky-Dink or would a dirty MAF cause it not to lock?

Torque Converter

I guess it could. The TC lockup is controlled by the Powertrain Control Module. So if it sees any problems it may not let the TC lock up for some reason. Do you still have codes or are they gone?

no codes..... I'm proud that fixed it because its locking like charm every time now

Back