98 JBL Eddie Bauer sub install questions. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 JBL Eddie Bauer sub install questions.

bt93

Reaction score
City, State
NE Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Eddie V8
I have the premium sound with JBL. I am wanting to add a couple subs and amp I have laying around but I hate the look of a aftermarket head unit plus I will lose my 6-disc. Can I use the output from the factory sub amp for my low level inputs and get away with it without frying anything? Should I use a line-out-converter? should I ditch the whole idea?

Bump

You can get harness adapters or even use the in-line converter that lets you use aftermarket amps with the factory head unit. It won't sound as good as it would with an aftermarket receiver with low-level output signals, but with a quality amp, it should still be pretty good.

Blaupunkt also made amps with harnesses specifically made to plug into factory systems. They're slightly pricey, as are the associated harnesses, but they're worth it if you want a plug-in install for a high-end system. You can do everything from a single channel sub amp to a full 5-channel amp for all four speakers and the sub too.

Back