• Register Today It's free!

New tires and Rims!

dothedeww

Reaction score
City, State
West Friendship, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT
Just put my new tires/rims on today...cragar soft 8's with Definitly Dakota A/T's (235/70/16...no wheel spacers but with the soft 8's those wheels stick out pretty far.

Just another question...I bent my control arm a while back..and first off..what exactly is that? Like does anyone have a picture? I was just told by a buddy who realigned the front end that the control arm on the right from was bent about 1 inch back..and im getting tired of the wheel pulling one way...especially noticeable with these new rims/tires. And second..what does a control arm cost? Installation?

Camera004.jpg

Camera007.jpg

Camera012.jpg

Camera016.jpg

Camera020.jpg

Camera021.jpg

Camera022.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome man!!! Looks like police wheels now!! :p Where did you get the center caps finally??.... Sorry I can't help you much with the control arm :S

nice. at a time i wanted something similar but now im going for a chrome / polished aluminum look. and your tires dont stick out too far. i like to stick out a bit but some people dont know when to stop

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_arm

Bang, there ya go. A bent control arm is definitely going to affect your steering, due to connecting the steering knuckle to the frame. If it's bent towards the frame end, your knuckle is gonna have a helluva time trying to stay straight, due to it already being out of whack. If you're fighting your truck down the road, then it most definitely is an issue. As for the cost, they're really not too bad, ranging anywhere from $80-$250 (give or take). As for installation, I myself have never done one, but from what I understand it's a fairly simple process. Cruise the forums and see if you can find a thread on a control arm install, I'll keep a look out for one for ya as well.

Ask and you shall receive, here's a link to an upper control arm install (should be quite similar to a lower control arm as well):
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194453&highlight=control+arm+install

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_arm

Bang, there ya go. A bent control arm is definitely going to affect your steering, due to connecting the steering knuckle to the frame. If it's bent towards the frame end, your knuckle is gonna have a helluva time trying to stay straight, due to it already being out of whack. If you're fighting your truck down the road, then it most definitely is an issue. As for the cost, they're really not too bad, ranging anywhere from $80-$250 (give or take). As for installation, I myself have never done one, but from what I understand it's a fairly simple process. Cruise the forums and see if you can find a thread on a control arm install, I'll keep a look out for one for ya as well.

Ask and you shall receive, here's a link to an upper control arm install (should be quite similar to a lower control arm as well):
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194453&highlight=control+arm+install

Wow, thanks a bunch.

Im gonna get it up on a lift tommrow or friday and see whats exactly bent..cuz with these new tires im fighting it like crazy, and the inside of the right front is wearing like crazy

Awesome man!!! Looks like police wheels now!! :p Where did you get the center caps finally??.... Sorry I can't help you much with the control arm :S

thanks!

I got the center caps off of Jegs, the 3.3 inch center caps..they look nice..i was gonna paint them black, but I like the cop wheel look.

I had a 370z go flying past me the other day, I jumped out behind him and got on it, he pulled over! I laughed at that one.

Hey man. Your truck looks nice. I have the same color and im supposed to be getting me new tires and rims on monday. Im finishing up the lift i have on the back as well next week. You should have 2 control arms, an upper and a lower. I changed out my upper control arm on my 97 explorer and it wasnt hard at all. Its basically disconnecting the ball joint from the spindle/knuckle, and then two bolts that hold the control arm on. I can look tomorrow on mine and let you know but its not that hard. I have a 2006 now and it should be the same as yours. I believe the lower control arm is about the same. Should be a couple of bolts and the lower ball joint.

Hey man. Your truck looks nice. I have the same color and im supposed to be getting me new tires and rims on monday. Im finishing up the lift i have on the back as well next week. You should have 2 control arms, an upper and a lower. I changed out my upper control arm on my 97 explorer and it wasnt hard at all. Its basically disconnecting the ball joint from the spindle/knuckle, and then two bolts that hold the control arm on. I can look tomorrow on mine and let you know but its not that hard. I have a 2006 now and it should be the same as yours. I believe the lower control arm is about the same. Should be a couple of bolts and the lower ball joint.

yea, let me know. Im gonna get it up on a lift tomorrow and see exactly whats bent...then depending on the shop quote just let them do it. Ive done my radiator..charcoal canister...brakes..i just dont like messin with suspension.

What do you think a control arm cost (both upper and lower?)

It wont mess up your alignment as long as you put the camber pins the exact way you pull them out. Its not that hard to see which way they go. If you look at that write up that guy did it shows the pin. You can tell which way it goes.

A control arm for a 2006 explorer elx, whichis what i have, so yours should be the same, the upper is $96 and the lower is $239. Thats at advance auto parts. I dont know if you have one around you but thats where i always go.

It wont mess up your alignment as long as you put the camber pins the exact way you pull them out. Its not that hard to see which way they go. If you look at that write up that guy did it shows the pin. You can tell which way it goes.

A control arm for a 2006 explorer elx, whichis what i have, so yours should be the same, the upper is $96 and the lower is $239. Thats at advance auto parts. I dont know if you have one around you but thats where i always go.

Yea i always go to advance auto...and napa....got accounts there so everythins like 50% off haha Ill see what the shop charges (i know the guys and they'll prolly let me help out on the job)...if they only want like 50 for labor..he'll ill let them do it

I would too. After being in the military and fixing helicopters, cars arent as fun anymore to just maintain. I still love to make them faster and better.

looks good man

looks great! i like the color combo!

Back