Winch Project | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winch Project

Okay well here's a little DIY for any of you out there that want a winch on ur explorer but don't know how to attach it!

I contemplated many ideas and here's what i came up with.

I bought a simple 6000Lb Winch, nothing crazy, just enough to pull a buddy out of some snow or sand or get myself out of trouble when I'm out on the beach alone.

First i bent some 1/4 inch plate steel, no break needed just stuck it in a vice, warmed it up and banged away until i achieved 90 degrees. Then i measured the width between them when installed on the chase and cut and welded a peice of 1\4 Wall 2" Square tubing.

57434985.jpg

After that i cut some triangles out to weld into the corners to add some extra strength.

13214241.jpg

Finished...

58335476.jpg

After that i notched out a smaller piece of metal, not sure of the size, but it matched my rear tow receiver and sand blasted it, heres it after being sand blasted...

13977326.jpg

Threw some paint on it...

36024189.jpg

63167150.jpg

All Finished....

25792079.jpg

Now i wired it so that there are connections to plug into in the front and the back, that way if i get stuck head in, or head out, i can pull myself out, hence why i made the front receiver the same as the back.. Wired the controller in the glove box, welded some plates onto the bottom of the winch plate to allow it to be plugged into a hitch receiver, drilled it all out, and closed it all up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice Job!:thumbsup:

I don't think your going to be wanting to pull anything very heavy with that, if you get stuck you'll probably be maxing that winch out. The normal rule of thumb is double the weight of the vehicle.

not only on the winch, but the cable as well. if its not up to the task it can break and fly back at you, hurting you or even killing you. not a good thing.

Yes i know, however i drove myself right into a ditch that some kids dug out on the beach, whole front left tire was completely burred, along with the rear right flying in the air, broke the winch out, threw it on the back receiver, attached the cable to my friends F150 and worked like a charm.

I like it alot! Nice and clean look. well done

Yes i know, however i drove myself right into a ditch that some kids dug out on the beach, whole front left tire was completely burred, along with the rear right flying in the air, broke the winch out, threw it on the back receiver, attached the cable to my friends F150 and worked like a charm.
Or you could use a tow strap :)

Props for fabbing the mount. It looks like it would be a good place to attach a skid plate.

The winch, on the other hand, well, it's the tiniest one I've ever seen!

Props for making something usable for your truck. I would definitely use a snatch block on that UTV winch to double the line, and hook it to one of the tow hooks.

The winch, on the other hand, well, it's the tiniest one I've ever seen!

It's not the size of your winch, it's how you use it. Just because you have a large one don't look down on those who are, well... you know... :p:

Back