Picked up an 87 F150

Charlie

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited
Well..the other day I picked up a new toy...

It's an 1987 F-150. It's no great beauty...but runs great. It's got the 4.9 I6 motor, which runs and idles better than most motors in newer cars driving around. I also can't believe how nice it rides going down the road and on the freeway, it is unbelievable!

As you can see in the pictures..it has a little multi-coloredness going on now..but that will be changing soon. I'm planning on painting it either gloss black, or flat black..not sure which yet...

It's in good shape overall. Not too much rust..some, though. And a few dents..but nothing bad. Interior is in great condition. My biggest problem with it is the fact that the brights are stuck on..I suspect the floor switch at fault..and also the bottom of the tailgate is rusted, so the hinge is broken. Besides those issues, I'm one happy guy!

Here's the "beauty"...
10-21-09_1811.jpg

10-21-09_1812.jpg

10-21-09_1813.jpg

My explorer feels a little left out though..hasn't been driven since the "new guy" showed up on Saturday.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Enjoy your "new" ride:chug:

I vote for flat black :D

nice to see you around again.

Interior...not great shots though...all gauges/everything works..(except high beams stuck on)

10-22-09_0947.jpg

10-22-09_0948.jpg

The sad part..is this gets better mileage than my explorer...

Maybe this truck can be a mentor to my explorer...after all, it's been around the block a few times..(I just got back from a short errand around the block:p:)

It only has 29k miles, too..or 129k...or 229k...or 329k..or..you get the idea:D Odometer only has 5 digits.

Edit: Oh, and I am leaning toward flat black-

Better picture of how it looks...don't mind the spare rim on the front..that will be changed like the others once I get new tires...
IMAGE_036-1-1.jpg

Drivers door drying after first coat...
10-28-09_1301.jpg

And yes, it is officially "The General"
IMAGE_038-1.jpg

coil spacers and 32s Charlie! I'm a big fan of trucks from that era.

I may be considering something quite like that...if you will note..it doesn't have new tires yet....perhaps..I'm waiting to upsize some?:D

Haven't decided for sure yet what I will be doing, but yes, I'm thinking of something along those lines..

Neither would I..My buddies 94 with the same motor has 294k..these engines are darn near indestructible, I have no idea why Ford stopped making them! Maybe they lasted too long...

Back