Help me please! I have knocking after a tune up. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help me please! I have knocking after a tune up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wish me luck....

So i just got up and im about to go at my truck again. I havent pulled the other 4 plugs out but i will today. along with checking the manifold bolts. is there any type of additive i could to help them. you know like block seal?? please lemme know. Thanks, and good morning!! lol

If you drove up. parked in the driveway , did the tuneup and immediatley noticed this pinging, It's not the oil on the plugs or anything else. It has to be in the tuneup. Do me a favor...put the old plugs back in and see how it runs.
Keep in mind that on the passenger side, the ignition wires line up cylinder to Power box but on the drivers side, there are two that are swapped.
At an idle you might not notice the fact that teh car is running on 4 cylinders but under a load you sure would. Check the wire routing again.

If you drove up. parked in the driveway , did the tuneup and immediatley noticed this pinging, It's not the oil on the plugs or anything else. It has to be in the tuneup. Do me a favor...put the old plugs back in and see how it runs.
Keep in mind that on the passenger side, the ignition wires line up cylinder to Power box but on the drivers side, there are two that are swapped.
At an idle you might not notice the fact that the car is running on 4 cylinders but under a load you sure would. Check the wire routing again.

She has been told more then twice to check the firing order, improper firing order explains everything! Period! Thats it! :(

Also Tony, I asked if she would post the firing order used so we could double check, no answer....... :(
So I ask again, what firing order? Pictures are worth a thousand words.

(just trying to help)
Bob

p.s. you never told us what engine.

She has been told more then twice to check the firing order, improper firing order explains everything! Period! Thats it! :(
I was just trying to reinforce what has been written previously.

wut oil filter did you use cause fram tends to make a terrible noise occasionally and wut oil cuz full symthtic might be bad for your older motor.

I would almost bet money its wired up wrong... that fits..... How did it run BEFORE the tune up? Like does now or better?

wut oil filter did you use cause fram tends to make a terrible noise occasionally and wut oil cuz full symthtic might be bad for your older motor.

I'm no mechanic but I'm going to say this has nothing to do w/ it at all. :) I'll agree with everyone else on the firing order.

knocking explorer

I know someone on here has had my problem... well, hopefully. I did a tune up on my 94 explorer, i did the plugs, wires, and fuel filter. then when i started it and tried to drive, it was making a horible knocking. so needless to say now i have replaced the throttle pulley, serp. belt, coil, power stearing pump, cleaned the egr, and idle sensor, checked ohm levels on the wires, checked the gap on the plugs twice. oh and new alternator. thats all i can remembe right now. but the problem happens when i puch on the gas peddle like going up a hill. then it has no power, and there is a loud like metal knocking almost like an empty can being hit with a rock... lol thats the best i can do sorry. any suggestions??

Hi,
I am the Technical manager for FRAM and Autolite. Your Explorer has a DIS ignition system that requires either double platinum spark plugs or Iridium fine wire plugs with a platinum button on the side wire. You problem is most likely related to having plugs wires not properly routed, the coils are firing all the plugs, just not at the correct time. There is a nice posting of the correct routing in this thread. I can assure you, despite one poster on here that your issue is not caused by using a FRAm or any other kind of oil filter.I can email you any kind of service info you may need, just shoot me an email at Jay.Buckley@Honeywell.com:cool:

Welcome to this forum! It's nice to have somebody with your level of expertise on this site. Some Fram products are the same as Motorcraft such as the Microfelt transmission filters, and Autolite spark plugs.

Back